PDA

View Full Version : Scanning for me?

itemphoto@yahoo.com
01-13-2005, 03:17 PM
I need to scan a boat hull for an rc model. It is 41 inches long and I could use the probe for the bot, but I would like to see how a scanner works. Does anyone have one large enough to handle this? I am in NC but would ship.

Kevin Reid

billp
01-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Kevin,
Is this a "half hull" kind of project where you could scan one side and then mirror it to assemble your hull?
Most 3D scanners will not be large enough to do this hull, unless you are somehow able to index/"stitch"the files together . Typical contact scanners such as the Roland Picza can only do up to 12"by 8" ( and 2.37"of depth..), but they might work if you chose to do the above indexing. Problem here is that to do something of that length will take VERY long unless the hull is remarkably fair, and then you could use larger increments in the scanning process.
Other devices such as the Microscribe digitizing arm will do the same thing, BUT they require that an operator spend undivided time using the arm to "draw"a grid of contact points which are then later skinned with a surface. This can become a fairly expensive proposition as you are paying for the time of both an operator AND the machine.
If your hull is not too deep the Shopbot probe might be the path of least resistance. It can run unattended, and if you set your resolution tight enough you will get a VERY accurate representation of your model. If you don't have enough room under your gantry, you could actually cut a "hatch"in your table to accomodate the hull ( not something I'd do unless this was a very important file, OR you saw repeat work in this process..).
I have a Microscribe, but at the moment it's the undivided time I don't have. If you'd like to contact me offline I can explain what that process would entail.

Brady Watson
01-13-2005, 11:54 PM
I think the SB probe with longer stylus would do the trick.

-Brady

krfitz
01-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Kevin,

Is this a hard-chine model, or does it have a round bottom? If it is hard-chine, then it would be very easy to duplicate without any expensive hardware, just some scrap wood and the scanner. Rounded bottom is a little more difficult but can be done with a profile duplicator (used for woodworking) and the scanner.

-Kevin

billp
01-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Kevin,
Just had some coffee, and a thought; instead of going through all the time to do a scan of the hull, why not wax/silicone the hull, and then pour some liquid glop over it to make a mold? It would cut out the "middle" stage, and should give you an exact copy...Aren't most RC models made from resin anyway?

ron brown
01-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Any model scanned will need to be "faired" IMO. several sections could be taken, put into a program like RHINO, faired and the output would be useful.

Ron

artisan
01-14-2005, 02:11 PM
I guess that scanning or probing is a reasonable option, but anymore, I've found that simply building to spec in software is faster and cleaner by far. A boat hull would be pretty simple to do in Rhino in half an hour or less...D

itemphoto@yahoo.com
01-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey thanks for all the input. This is a rounded bottom boat and I will have to hollow the inside out also. I will be meeting with the client tomorrow and I will let you know what we come up with.
Kevin Reid

genem (Unregistered Guest)
01-29-2005, 01:29 PM
The people at Polhemus will scan for you
http://www.polhemus.com/FSoptions.htm

give them a try
gene