PDA

View Full Version : Carbide 60 degree cutter issue

Rob Gunn
04-25-2011, 01:20 PM
I just used my first new carbide 60 degree v-carve tool and it broke the tip of the cutter when I used my z-zero tool plate. It did zero out correctly but the tip went away as soon as it touched the zero plate (yes i did say a few words). I guess I can zero out my tool depth the old fashion way with a feeler gauge but I am wondering if its just me or is this an issue that others see? As a new-bie I have to ask some of the dumbest questions but I would like to learn from my mistakes...

bleeth
04-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Rob:
That does happen but is typically more of a problem with finer tools. You can go into your z-zero program and slow down the plunge speed. You can get a little tricky and save this as a new custom file and call it "z-zero for fine bits" so you can use the standard one with heavier tools.
You can find directions on creating your own custom file for this in the SP parts file.
Whose bit was it?

Rob Gunn
04-25-2011, 02:19 PM
The bit was a cheap "Non-USA made" E-Bay special but I still hate to lose a new tool the first 10 seconds of use. I think I will just get into the habit of using a feeler gauge for anything V-cut. I may try a high carbon impregnated (conductive) plastic or rubber on the zero plate but still, the old feeler gauge method will be the safest. Thanks for the info.

myxpykalix
04-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I think you will find you have issues with correct depths between various toolpaths doing it manually with a feeler gauge. I don't think it is an issue with the bot but with the crappy bits.

Go to www.centuriontools.com (http://www.centuriontools.com) and buy good quality bits that are not that expensive. Now I don't use my bits everyday but i am still using my bits i bought from centurion in 2006 and they are still sharp (want to know how I know?...:rolleyes:)

paul_z
04-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Rob,

I have done a lot of bad things to v Bits but I have never broken a v bit on the z zero plate. It is aluminum and the bit should be safe hitting it (and leaving a slight dent). I have used bits as small as 0.05" 60 degree V with the normal Z zero routine. I'd use a modified (slower descent) routine for smaller bits.

I think you might want to consider the bit to be defective unless it is very small.

If the bit is that fragile, I'd check each cut and the bit after use to make sure it is intact until you get some "mileage" on it.

Paul Z

bleeth
04-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Your reply says it all Rob.
Jack is correct when he suggests Centurian.
You can also use Amana, Whiteside, or any reputable solid carbide bit. Most off the shelf steel bits with carbide tips just aren't suitable for cnc.
Paul is also correct.
Sometimes a penny saved is a penny wasted.