PDA

View Full Version : OT: Phoenix GSM Router/Engraver-HELP!!

wrkwatchr
04-28-2011, 10:34 PM
While I have a ShopBot, I stumbled into a little desktop machine that looks virtually brand-new. It is a 15"x20" Desktop CNC machine that used the original Bosch mini router. It came complete with a dead 286 Packard Bell Computer and 7 inch monitor. According to the manual that I also received, it was based on DOS 5.0. I have searched the net and found that the company went out of business/changed names and now sells HUGE machines. I have been unable to find anything about resurrecting these to use them in today's world.

It has stepper/servo motors and originally was equipped with a vacuum hold down. It has a controller board with 1/2 diameter 3" long fuses on each circuit. While the controller looks ok (no burns or other signs of problems), I have no idea where to start to see if I can get it working. Would it be better to dump the controller and buy something else as a controller board, then use that to interface with more modern software?

Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

Roy

Gary Campbell
04-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Roy...
If you do your homework, you can adapt it to use a SB controller and SB3 software

bleeth
04-29-2011, 06:14 AM
First step, besides turning it on and seeing if it seems to power up, for me would be to try to identify the drivers in the controller. Then contact Mariss at Mach. Also you will find more people with knowledge of other cnc packages over at the CNCzone forum.

donclifton
04-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Mariss is at geckodrive brian is mach
Don

bleeth
04-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Right-o!
Thanks for straightening that out Don.

wrkwatchr
04-30-2011, 09:18 AM
I started at CNC zone and there was little to nothing that I found. :confused: I researched every link I found and came up blank. That is what I am thinking the best bet is probably to try replacing the controller and starting there, but I don't have a clue on where to start.

Thanks

Roy

bleeth
04-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Roy:
Although you may end up needing to ditch the controller at this point you don't know if there is anything wrong with it from what you have written so far. Since the computer is history then it seems to me the issue is that you don't have access to the operating software to run the controller. Hence my suggestion to get hold of BRIAN at Mach. Even better if you can determine exactly what the drivers are in the controller-That's the part that counts!
If you do end up having to go the controller route you will then need to determine accurate specs on the motors to properly get the amount of power, resistance, etc. in the controller and unit values in the operating software.

wrkwatchr
05-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks Dave,

Overall the whole thing looks to be in a good shape, except for the fact the integral vacuum system is missing. All the wiring, fuses, etc., seem to be virtually new. The lady said the Bosch Router needed new bearings. It is hard-wired into controller board so short of taking it apart, I don't know if the bearings are good or not. One of the cables has a strange plug on it and is not connected to anything, so I don't know if it is even part of the system or not.

Sooooo.....the mystery continues, but at least now I have a starting point!.

Thanks
Roy

and just what I need....another project to do in all my extra time!! :rolleyes:

bleeth
05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
You're welcome Roy.
Let us know how it goes.