PDA

View Full Version : Fonts and Location

kubotaman
04-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Can someone tell me if I find a font in Word that comes with Window 7 how would I go about putting it into Aspire? The other problem is where are the fonts located in both programs?? I can't seem to find them.

ssflyer
04-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Aspire uses the standard installed windows fonts. It can use ttf and open type fonts, but not postscript, as far as I know...

dana_swift
04-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Daryl- there are two answers to your question.

First: Outline fonts, as Ron correctly points out Aspire gets them automatically because they are in the system folder. In XP they are located in the folder: C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

In the Fonts folder you will find a mixture of Postscript, TrueType and OpenType. TrueType and OpenType are essentially the same thing. [The internal structure of these last two cases is documented publicly and available for free. Adobe's policys on font documentation have changed and I dont know how much you can find out about them for free.]

Second: Stroke fonts, seem to be encoded in a Vectric proprietary format and is undocumented to the best of my knowledge. The font files are located on my XP machines at: C:\Program Files\Aspire 3.0\Fonts

If documentation is available for them so we can add our own logos and other designs I would love to know how.

I have no idea where anything is located on Windows 7, presumably the same place, but I have done so little with Windows 7 I cant comment there.

Stroke fonts that are documented and publicly available are the Hershey fonts, developed at the expense of the US taxpayers and are in the public domain. Unfortunately Aspire does not support them, however it is easy to generate a SBP toolpath for them, I use them a lot for serial numbers and other "computed" engraved text.

Hope that helps.

joe
04-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Daryl,

Ron and Dan are correct about the placement of font in the windows font directory.

If you can't get them into your CAD program perhaps you can set them as type in your favorite design program and export the type as DXF or DWG. I'm sure they would be importable that way.

Perhaps you should look at a version of XP.

Joe