PDA

View Full Version : "The selected vectors self intersect" (pic and zip file)

nodnerb
05-05-2011, 09:02 AM
To identify self-intersections, group the vectors.

Ok, I know I am probably missing something really simple here, and it is such a simple part, but I can't figure out what the problem is. I am trying to do an inside cut on the following part using a 1/4" end mill. I've also tried the toolpath with an 1/8" bit and get the same warning. The section selected in the jpg, and the identical cutout on the bottom. I know there will be a radius in the corners obviously but I'm not concerned with that.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk84/Nodnerb1/Image1.jpg

Please any help would be appreciated. I've grouped the vectors as the pop up suggested but I'm not sure what I am looking for and I've zoomed way in and looked over the entire vector.

Thanks for any help.

Gary Campbell
05-05-2011, 09:47 AM
bpm...
If you select the offending vectors and open node edit mode you can see where the problem lies. There should be 6 nodes for each hilighted shape. 4 arcs (or curves) and 2 lines. Problematic files usually have a bunch extra. Zoom in on those extra nodes and you will see overlaps or loops.

garyb
05-05-2011, 10:03 AM
your problem is at these 2 intersections

nodnerb
05-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Ok, thanks for the help guys. I did find one of the microscopic nano-loops on one of the corners, but I couldn't trim it. I ended up just redrawing it.

But I would like to know why that happens and how to fix it.

I couldn't find what the problem was in node editing mode. But, I must admit, I don't really use node editing mode so I'm not too sure of its capabilities.

Thanks for the help. And if you want to offer any tips on the above, it'd be appreciated.

garyb
05-05-2011, 11:57 AM
use the vector doctor

nodnerb
05-05-2011, 01:16 PM
use the vector doctor

Ok. I'm making myself look dumber and dumber here, but what is vector doctor and where do I access it or download it?

garyb
05-05-2011, 02:36 PM
May depend on which version you have but should have a little green cross for the icon
if you want to contact me on skype I will go over it and help you with it
gary

nodnerb
05-05-2011, 02:48 PM
I have partwizard version 3.000a. I can't recall ever seeing a green cross icon anywhere and I can't find it. I've never seen revisions on the shopbot website for partwizard before.

zeykr
05-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I think Gary is talking Artcam.

garyb
05-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Part Wizard is by Delcam, an entry level of ArtCam similar to ArtCam Express but will only output sbp
wasn't sure if the vector doctor was stripped out of the SB version or not.
as offered skype me, I will share my screen and go over it, or we can also upgrade you to ArtCam Express 2011 if interested.

Ken, I may be taking run over your direction would like to pass 3 sheets of HDU to you

zeykr
05-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Gary,
That would be great! Keep trying to get over that way and something always gets in the way.