PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Sign

MogulTx
05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Here is a quick acrylic sign that I threw together the other night. This is for my "day job". My guys built a stand for it, and we will take it to a tradeshow this weekend. It now has the LED lighting coming from inside a stand and no tape on the acrylic, etc.

It is roughly 18" wide. x ??? tall. Letters are just under an inch. I Vcarved the letters (60 degree) and used a 1/4" round nose bit for the open spaces. All in all I think it turned out great.

Man, I love ShopBots!

Monty

CNYDWW
05-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Nice work, i'm hoping to get into acrylic signage.
Regards
Randy

tallen84
05-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Nice sign. I was wondering what type of acrylic you used for that (cast / extruded / etc...)

MogulTx
05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Todd,

This is a 1/4" extruded. I milled through the protective paper in reverse so that it would be smooth on the front of the sign.

Got lots of compliments at our show. Actually got one serious request to do one for a customer of ours. (I use the router independently of my day job- so I didn't think I'd be making new signs based off this. But the sign looked really good. I will slow my bit just slightly and will also raise it by .02 on my first pass and then re-run it to try to remove some slight "chatter" in the finish that apparently is "not apparent" to others who look at it.

I did use a utility knife to remove the small amount white rime/welded acrylic in the apex of the letters. Maybe I'll have less of that, as well.

Monty