PDA

View Full Version : Updates for Windows 7?? problems with XP

plastics
05-27-2011, 09:34 AM
I am having issues with the bot freezing up all the time. Currently running partwizard and the bot in XP and connecting the USB by attaching. Could this be the issue??

ken_rychlik
05-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Justin,
If you have partwizzard, you have an older machine and xp should work fine.

You will have to be much more detailed with your questions to get solid answers.

Do you get error messages, and what do they say?
What version of sb3 software are you running?
How old is your shopbot and is it 4g?

There are so many variables that to get good info out, you will need to put good info in.

Also shobot has a toll free number and they will help you out for free even with an older machine.

plastics
05-27-2011, 10:01 AM
The machine is a ShopBot PRTalpha 96
No error message appears, it freezes and when i try and manually stop it, nothing. I have to go to the control box to get the motor to stop. Then I have to start task manager and stop shopbot3
yes it is 4 g

Brady Watson
05-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Have you tried running the latest version of SB3 AND loading new firmware via the UI command?

-B

ken_rychlik
05-27-2011, 10:17 AM
It can't be an alph and a 4g both. If you have the big aluminum box it is alpa.

If you have the computer style controler, that could be 4g.

When you stop it "manually" what are you doing.

Hitting the e stop, space bar, or what?

The fastest way to get it fixed is to call shopbot. You can get help here, but it will be lots of back and forth questions to get us there.

plastics
05-27-2011, 10:28 AM
its an alpha
i have to stop the router from spinning by pressing the stop/restart on the control box. space bar doesnt do anything. says its stopping and just keeps running. that when I have to go to task manager to close sb and reopen and restart everything. thanks for the help will be calling also.

Brady Watson
05-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Have you tried running the latest version of SB3 AND loading new firmware via the UI command?

-B

Have you done this????

plastics
05-27-2011, 11:17 AM
yes im all up to date

ken_rychlik
05-27-2011, 11:23 AM
There is a sequence to doing the firmware update and it can even tell you it did the update when it didn't. That always drove me crazy.

I helped a fellow not long ago that did all the updates as per tech support request and his machine was worse than before. We took his back to 3.6.18 to get it working again. It had to do with his prt alpha not stopping the z moves when he let off of the button in the keypad mode.

Anyway,,,, unless you cycle the controller off and on and actually see the progress bars, it didn't update the firmware.

plastics
05-27-2011, 12:07 PM
I ran a speed test and it came back a 69.7% would that have anything to do with it?? It does this on almost all part files

ken_rychlik
05-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Thats borderline to slow, but i doubt that is the cause of the machine not stopping when you hit the spacebar or enter.

srwtlc
05-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Very well could be. Gotta get that up a bit. Do you have the machine hooked up to a USB 2.0 hub or just plugged into a USB port on the back of the computer? Try a hub if you don't have it on one already. At the least, you could try another available port on the computer and check again.

Did this problem just start to happen? What changes to the system have you made before it happened.

Tell me it's not a Dell or a bargain basement computer. ;)

plastics
05-27-2011, 03:56 PM
its a dell optiplx 380 the port is pulgged into the back, no hub.

ken_rychlik
05-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark.

I have a barggggain basement dell 260 optiplex that runs my alpha pretty good. lol

It does have a dedicated usb card and a hub though.

srwtlc
05-27-2011, 06:21 PM
He he, sorry Ken. ;)

Justin, try putting it on a 2.0 hub instead. There's many different ones out there. I've had good luck with a Wally World CyberPower one.

plastics
05-31-2011, 02:57 PM
We opened the cover to the control box and noticed that there was no fan. It smelled warm, I have a 2.0 hub coming. Does there need to be a fan of any sorts to help cool the control box?