PDA

View Full Version : plastic engraving

steelcnccutter
06-06-2011, 01:35 AM
looking for some suggestions about engraving in plexiglas and lexan. I know they are different materials. making a control panel and cutting from the rear and looking not to have so much clean up from rolled up plastic. feeds and speed suggestions also acepted. the v bit was big mess and the center drill I used did the best. any suggestion will keep me from reinventing the wheel. the letters are 3/16 tall and numbered lines for reference and trying to get .04 deep for good. thanks

donchandler
06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
We use a 1/8" carbide engraving bit. Run it slow with a fast feed to keep it from melting. You can also use a 1 or 2 flute upcut O flute bit. V carving work OK if you keep the bit speed down and the feed fast. See the attached pictures.

steelcnccutter
06-07-2011, 11:19 PM
thanks I was hoping someone would give me a little info. I was doing it backwards router fast and feed slow. just ordered a fine v bit for signs hope it works good I think it was 1/4.
someone around here said use some soapy water on it does anyone know about that?

steelcnccutter
06-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Don nice work had to go back and look again are the letters filled with paint or just natural cuts? and do you use a one stroke font or open letters? thanks

donchandler
06-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Don nice work had to go back and look again are the letters filled with paint or just natural cuts? and do you use a one stroke font or open letters? thanks
The letters are just natural cuts, no paint. The control panel is a single stroke font. I don't remember what I used on the round plaque. I am suffering from CRS. I didn't use any lubricant. Its important to have the bit cutting chips. If you go to slow, it is recutting and melts.