PDA

View Full Version : Small diameter cutters?

Acmeaviator
06-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Ok it's help the newbie time again:) I've had my BT48 (router) for a few weeks now and have started to produce work on it that is meeting my clients needs. I've learned how to set up my material, position my zero pints, nest parts, etc. and am very happy with the results.
The question I have now is what are the smallest diameter cutting tools that are practical to run on my machine? I have some requests for small pieces with tight tolerances - some would require a tool with a cutting diameter of a few millimeters. Is a tool that size even available?

zeykr
06-06-2011, 11:03 AM
I use 1/8, 2mm, 1/16, and .054" bits regularly. It's actually surprising how hard you can push this size of bits. Smaller bits such as 1/32 and 1mm and even smaller can be used though work best with a spindle and you have to be careful with them.

What you're looking for are usually called CBD (circuit board drills) or circuit board tooling. One source is

http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/precisebit-soft.asp

You can also PM me and let me know what you are looking for, I have an oversupply of some styles of small bits.

joe
06-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Brian,

Like Ken mentioned you can use extremely small bits with the right techniques. I often cut with an 1/8" bit first and follow up with a 1/16" or 1/32" as a cleanup. These little fellows do best at high speeds. 20K if you have it.

I have a job in the shop now which has some very deliclate lettering. I'll be making a little film showing how to cut and parce the letters. Some of the fellows remember my using a band saw for the reliefs. It's a fun little trick everyone should know.

Keep up the good work.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

Brady Watson
06-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Below 1/64" dia ball end mills, you'll start to see the limitations of the machine. For profiling, this isn't much of a problem, but below 1/64", you'll need good eyes to see if the tip is still on! :)

High RPM on the small bits to keep the SFM/Chipload right.

Modify your VR so that the 1st 2 settings are .1 - which is the slowest speed recommended before you have to get into messing with speed multipliers. These 2 settings set the LOWEST speed that the tool will go - regardless of what your SBP says.

I get all my small tools from Harvey Tool (http://www.harveytool.com/) - Super high quality - The BEST!

-B

Acmeaviator
06-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the great replies - love this community! I ordered a few small diameter down spirals from Onsrud and will be giving them a go. My "real" job is about to fold and I'm scrambling to get my shop profitable enough to not need any other income. Ah the joys of small business:rolleyes:

bleeth
06-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Brian:

Over 150 years ago Slavery was outlawed in the United States. 60 years after that "Silent Cal" Coolidge stated that "The business of America is business" thereby creating a rush by people to volunteer for the next slave class: Small business owners.

Acmeaviator
06-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Got my new 1/8" down spirals in the mail today! Ordered them straight from Onsrud on Tuesday and they were waiting at the door when I got home today. I cut a few gears out of 1/2" birch ply and am VERY happy with the results - especially the cleanliness of the cutline. I'm loving "sanding" parts with my finger tip.

Acmeaviator
06-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Is anyone using the porter cable 1/8" shank adapter for in their 1/4" collet? I have had no luck locating a 1/8" collet and this seems like a useful alternative.

Brady Watson
06-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Get your self an Enco Stubby Collet Chuck (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMPI?PMPANO=0591406&PMKBNO=2481&PMPAGE=11)

The reduction in runout compared to any other option on a PC router is worth it.

-B

jerry_stanek
06-26-2011, 07:07 AM
precision bits sell a 1/8 inch collet for the PC router. Think and tinker also sell small bits.

Acmeaviator
06-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Awesome - thanks guys:D

dana_swift
06-26-2011, 11:14 AM
When I first read Brady's suggestion of using the Enco Stubby Collett Chuck, I went out and bought one. It worked so well for me I now own about a half a dozen of them. I also use them as a bit extender so I can get the bit down past the dust foot edge a little more. Now I use shorter less expensive bits!

[Brady - thanks again for the Enco tip! I have not checked out Harvey tool.. will do..]

Brian- As to bit sizes.. I use down to 0.020. The 0.020 require very shallow cuts and lots of passes and high rpm. I use 0.062 more often and those work wonderfully and as Ken points out you can use reasonable cuts speeds and still get a nice result. You may find some other tricks and pass some ideas back when you are done experimenting!

D

majohnson
06-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Two sources I find that are a great for speciality cutters and small sizes:

Mirco 100 and the other is Harvey Tools, you can request a catalogs they are a great source of information.

Another good source is MSC Industrial Supply, they have a master catalog that is must have.