PDA

View Full Version : no cooling fan

plastics
06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I noticed that there is no cooling fan on the control box (big aluminum part) when I opened it seemed really warm.

Gary Campbell
06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Justin...
The control box is designed to act as a heat sink and dissapate heat thru the fins at the rear. Having a sealed box keeps dust out. IF you are experiencing extraordinarily high ambient temps, set a box fan to blow on the rear of the box.

plastics
06-06-2011, 02:36 PM
ok, except that there are no fins in the rear, only wire ports.

Gary Campbell
06-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Justin...
My bad... only the alpha has the cooling fins. Is yours a standard?

plastics
06-06-2011, 02:51 PM
i assume so, it was purchased in 04 its the PRT alpha 96.

Acmeaviator
06-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I think any system that uses PCM runs hot due to the heat generated when the system is receiving power but the motors are not consuming it. I run PCM model trains and they have little heat sinks inside the housings to radiate the heat when they are at rest. It freaked me out at first until I realized that power has to go someplace.

paul_z
06-06-2011, 03:00 PM
If my memory serves me (and it often doesn't), I believe the first alpha control boxes did not have fins. I'd still direct a fan at the control box; it will help a lot.

You might consider glueing on vertical fins. Although the thermal resistance of the glue is high, it is thin and would have a rather large area.

Paul Z

ken_rychlik
06-06-2011, 03:02 PM
If you call shopbot you may be able to buy the fins and bolt them to the outside of the box behind the drivers. That would help, but I would still just direct and external fan toward it.