PDA

View Full Version : Cut out picture frames from 3/8" mdf - high quantities - low price

garbob
04-11-2002, 07:40 PM
I have been approached to cut 3/8" mdf picture frames. The pricing needs to be low as the finished product that is painted, printed, laminated, trimmed, packaged and shipped for $5 US. I tried cutting these babies using several bits. All of mine are spiral upcut bits. All of them are from Onsrud and do a good job. I use double sided tape to hold most material down. I am trying to cut these doodads at a prettty high speed (2 to 3 inches per second). I keep lifting them off the table. We have come to the conclusion that it makes more sense to cut the centre holes with the SB and cut the frames from the material with a panel or big table saw.

My question is this. Has anyone used downcut spirals to cut mdf shapes at fairly high speeds? Like 2 to 3 inches per second. If the bits are sharp and a decent spoilboard is used with precut slots, the bits should handle the speed.

I'm hoping for some input, but if not I'll let you know how I make out in the next few days after I get some new bits and build some new table tops.

Gary.

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
04-11-2002, 08:22 PM
Gary I did 28 sheets last year 8 diff. designs..

I used a 1/4 in upcut 1/16 short of cutting through the material on the outside, cut the center all the way through and used tabbing on it.
then used a round over on all this side..flipped the sheet and cut the glass insert..I sent the sheets on to the finishing shop mostly intact..the
centers were removed when we did the back..

used 1/2 in MDF. have some pics of the finished product.. some pretty weird colors they did...

vab@visionartonline.com
04-11-2002, 09:17 PM
Gary, I am a new SBotter in the Dallas area. I have had my machine for about 8 months now. If you dont mind and it would not interfer with your sales, how did you get these cutting jobs? I have had a hard time contacting the right people who would need parts cut out. Any input would be very helpful.

James Burnell
e-mail : vab@visionartonline.com (mailto:vab@visionartonline.com)

garbob
04-12-2002, 07:39 AM
James B - Most of the work that I get comes from word of mouth from former customers I had from my computer networking business.

The contract cutting business aimed at sign businesses that I am just now breaking into will be approached by sending out hdu (signfoam, designboard, precisionboard) samples. Most of these are small signs about 1 foot square painted by hand and carved using some victorian scrollwork panels that I have. Our company name and phone number are carved into them with v-bits. I will hand deliver these samples with some others cut from wood and blue styrofoam.

I will also leave a brochure, and then the regular stuff of calling them every once in a while to see if they have a need for your services. Once in a while I even do a free sign for charity that gives me exposure, unfortunately I usually have to pay for the finish work, cause all that I do is cut.

I really must get my web site up to speed as well. I have done quite a few kitchen cupboard door carvings as a test for a kitchen company. I also want to carve some entry way door panels and put the pictures on my site.

Dan H - thanks for the input. Would it be possible to see some pics?

Thanks

Gary

ron_cleaver
04-12-2002, 08:01 AM
Gary,

Is there a Web site for designboard? I found the ones for signfoam and precisionboard but not that one.

garbob
04-13-2002, 09:26 AM
The web site for Jasper Plastics is http://www.jasperplastics.com/

Their product (Design Board) is aqbout $110 Cdn cheaper than either of the two most popular products. It has a finer bubble structure and seems to provide cleaner cuts. It is also flatter than the others, this may be that the dist. knows how to store the stuff properly. My local dist. also has a stock of almost all available products which is unusual for a Cdn. distributor.

I hope that this helps!

Gary