06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Autodesk has free 3d software.

http://www.123dapp.com/

Acmeaviator
06-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Blender is a ton-o-fun too:)

CNYDWW
06-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I'll end up playing with it. It does export in STL so at least it could exported and cut on a machine.

Regards
Randy

michael_schwartz
06-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I will have to give it a try. Looks like it focuses on what sketchup lacks.

CNYDWW
06-14-2011, 01:30 AM
That's exactly what i'm hoping.

geneb
06-14-2011, 12:22 PM
There is an issue with the STL export - it exports in metric even if you're using imperial dimensions for your model. I'm hoping it's something they'll be addressing with the next update.

g.

michael_schwartz
06-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Looks promising. Really simple as well. Easy enough to where you can grasp the basic features and draw some stuff without watching any of the tutorials.

Looks like we are finally starting to break the trend of 3D cad software that requires a 4 year degree in drafting, along with 10 years of experience to do anything with.

dhunt
06-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Looks like we are finally starting to break the trend of 3D cad software
that requires a 4 year degree in drafting, along with 10 years of experience
to do anything with.Four hundred and eighty-two Megs of download --it had better be good!

I'm getting it down now.
'Only' another 2.5 hrs. to go, at 55 kb. a second... :cool:

There's a good reason I've stuck with plodding ole Vector Nine for ten years..
..could never get my head around the fancy alternatives that seeeemed so easy
but I could never figure out (just too dumb at age 61 I suppose)

Maybe this will be different? :)

dlcw
06-14-2011, 11:24 PM
I started playing with it today. It definitely has a different UI then any application I've used since the mid 80's. Especially on the Windows platform. Breaking the mold for sure.

So far it is pretty easy to use. Everything seems to be in your face instead of buried deep like in SU. I'm going to play around some more.

That's a bummer about the STL export though.... I hope they get that fixed.

adrianm
06-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Can't say I like it so far but then I've been a Sketchup user from way before Google turned up on the scene so I know it very, very well.

I'll give it another go but I must admit I'm struggling to see what it can do that Sketchup can't that would be useful to me.

gerryv
06-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Does it have a push/pull tool like sketchup? For someone completely new to 3D drawing that seems like a pretty hard tool to pass up.

tgm
06-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I tend to agree with Adrian. SketchUp is not meant to be an 'organic' modeling program although most think it is because it's a '3D' program. It's main use if for 3D drawing of objects, buildings etc and not intended to model cartoon faces that can be exported and carved on a CNC. Each program has it's own agenda and set of values and as Adrian says, there is not much you can't do with SU if you are a proficient user.
I for one will stick with what I know. I don't need to be re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.

Tom in PA

geneb
06-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Adrian, like Inventor, 123D is a parametric modeling tool. SketchUp is not.

The only thing missing from 123D is the ability to export a face as a 2D drawing. When this happens, I can drop my working tool set down to 123D and VCarve Pro. Right now I'm using SketchUp and DraftSight (a free, AutoCAD 2010 compatible CAD program made by Dassault Systemes http://www.draftsight.com) for design and VCarve Pro for tool paths, nesting and manufacturing adjustments.

123D (and Inventor) are tools designed to make products to manufacture. They've been designed from the ground up with this goal in mind. SketchUp isn't even in the same league. It's very good for what it does, but that's basically just a "sketch" tool and not a true modeler.

g.

gerryv
06-15-2011, 09:57 AM
I imagine this will force SolidWorks to offer something similar in order to prevent Autodesk from regaining the momentum with new users. That can only bode well for those of us not needing to go too much beyond what Sketchup Pro offers and/or not prepared to embark on a long and stressful learning curve. I wonder if it will run well on Parallels (Mac)?

adrianm
06-15-2011, 10:00 AM
I use Sketchup Pro which is parametric enough for me with it's dynamic components and has more sophisticated export features than the free version.

It's all down to what you're trying to manufacture in the end I suppose. I've used SU Pro for making yacht interiors, cabinets, boxes etc for years without the need for any other program other than toolpathing.

If I was trying to make 3D compound shapes such as model cars then I totally agree it's not the best for that.

123D does look to be very an interesting program but I just can't deal with the interface. If I hadn't used anything else first or had a definitive need for it then I doubt it would be an issue.

geneb
06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
SketchUp is not (by any stretch of the imagination) a parametric modeling tool.

g.

adrianm
06-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Like I said. It's parametric enough for me.

I can design a 2ft by 4ft cabinet and then I can change any dimension and all the component parts adjust automatically and correctly without things like the thickness of the material changing.

Maybe not the pure definiton but it's all I need.

michael_schwartz
06-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Sketch up is what it is and definitely has its place. It is still the easiest program out there to learn and it will probably remain that way.

123D seems to be a nice solution for those who are looking for parametric cad software but do not have the time to learn or become proficient with one of the major software packages that exist.

CNYDWW
06-15-2011, 12:51 PM
I'll probably never stop using SketchupPro for general design work however certain things such as my rifles stocks(product i'm trying to get off the ground) i tend to play with in bobcad23. Let me tell you it's never pretty with that rout. I'm playing with 123D so i don't have to use bobcad anymore. After a few hours playing i've already gotten close to what i need. Practice makes perfect although i'm still looking for more shortcuts in the software.

Regards
Randy

dlcw
06-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Gerald, to address your question - yes there is a push/pull tool. Pretty similar to SU but has more built-in capabilities then simple push/pull.

I think the biggest show stopper for most people will be the complete departure of the UI from anything that people are used to using on a Windows platform. As far as I know there is not a Mac version yet. It is tough to get a handle on.

The upside, when you are working on a model everything is right where you're working instead of having to go find it in a menu somewhere.

bleeth
06-15-2011, 06:50 PM
You got my curiosity going so I downloaded it today and also watched a couple of the tutorials. If only Autodesk Autocad was that straightforward!! Also checked out a couple of the Ipod apps and wished they had Android version released! Funny that they have Ipod apps but PC programs!

ironsides
06-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Four hundred and eighty-two Megs of download --it had better be good!

I'm getting it down now.
'Only' another 2.5 hrs. to go, at 55 kb. a second... :cool:

There's a good reason I've stuck with plodding ole Vector Nine for ten years..
..could never get my head around the fancy alternatives that seeeemed so easy
but I could never figure out (just too dumb at age 61 I suppose)

Maybe this will be different? :)

2 minutes for me on my community fiber optic service _(http://www.utopianet.org/).

George

dhunt
06-16-2011, 06:34 AM
2 minutes for me on my community fiber optic service _(http://www.utopianet.org/).It took three long hours, here on da islan'

You don't know how lucky you are!

I'm taking the installer to work with me, today.
Will install it and play with it, there.

CNYDWW
06-16-2011, 04:11 PM
It only took about an hr on 1.3Mbps sat net. Much better then dialup, and cheaper.

michael_schwartz
06-16-2011, 05:00 PM
I am guessing you don't even have 3G over in Barbados?

We are spoiled here... I live in a rual area but I am lucky to have DSL on par with what was state of the art 10 years ago.

myxpykalix
06-16-2011, 05:29 PM
It only took me about 3 minutes to d/l but i have yet to open it and check it out.:rolleyes:

dhunt
06-16-2011, 08:33 PM
I am guessing you don't even have 3G over in Barbados?

We are spoiled here... I live in a rural area but I am lucky to have DSL
on par with what was state of the art 10 years ago.Sorry, no 3G in Barbados.
We have "hi-speed" internet when Cable & Wireless feels like it :D
Third World conditions, sorry!

Mind you, my download was made during internet prime time = 7 p.m to 10 p.m.
when everyone on the island is using bandwidth to the max.

myxpykalix
06-16-2011, 11:28 PM
David,
Hmmm..lets see on one hand you have slow download speed, on the other hand you have year round beautiful climate, and beautiful landscapes, ........somehow I can't bring myself to feel sorry for you!:rolleyes:lol

rhfurniture
06-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Hi.
123d seems to be almost identical at present to Autodesk Fusion, which is Autodesks take on bringing flexible modelling to inventor, currently (or recently??) in beta, but is included in all sales of 2012 stream autodesk mainline products. I think they want to move 123d towards the sketch-up model, and Fusion towards, probably integrated with, Inventor. I tried both, and find them way too resource hungry for my much loved but ageing (like me) T43 general/design computer.
On the general subject, Solid Edge seems to be leading the way with now integrated flexible modelling, and doesn't seem too resource hungry. They have a reasonably priced version called "draft & design" (about ukp1700) that I might be interested in. If anyone has tried it, I would love to know if it does include all of the drawing and editing tools of its much more expensive brothers, and what has been left out.

Regards, Ralph.

dhunt
06-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Hmmm..lets see on one hand you have slow download speed,
on the other hand you have year round beautiful climate, and beautiful landscapes, .....
...somehow I can't bring myself to feel sorry for you!:rolleyes:lolI know this is going to sound quite quite crazy to you climatically-deprived Northern Beings but...

one can get rather bored with all this sea-sand-fun-and-sun stuff

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/aplmac/Carnival%20VICTORY%20-%20Nov%2008/BARBADOS/BBay-772.jpg

over a lifetime of living on an oceanic rock

trust me when I tell you it's not all about the climate
although I understand your position, and why you think it might be.

We have plusses and minuses in both our countries
but climate often doesn't make up for some stuff. ;)
It just seems that way to you in Ye Greate Frozen North.

CNYDWW
06-17-2011, 12:51 PM
David,

I would have to agree with you on the boredom thing. I couldn't do it myself and i don't even like it over 75 deg. F.

Regards
Randy

dhunt
06-17-2011, 01:38 PM
I would have to agree with you on the boredom thing.
I couldn't do it myself and i don't even like it over 75 deg. F. 75 degrees F is a borderline-pleasant night temperature, in these parts! :)

We 'freeze our butts' if night-temps get to 70 or below :cool:

Humidity is never ever lower than about 75-85% at the very driest time of year(usually end-May?)
and average daytime temp is a pleasant 80-85 at the sweet time of year (Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb.)
-and anywhere from 85 - 90+ in the icky time (July to Oct. = Hurricane season!)
when humidity results in...shall we say... "a lessened work ethic"
like we had much to begin with? :D

It's not all roses down here --but neither is it, up there where you are!

Want to know where Wife and I prefer to vacation?
Manhattan -of all places Manhattan!

CNYDWW
06-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Well i make more money in the winter with snow removal then i do in the summer with the shop. Then again i operate equipment in and around a military research facility:D.

There is hell week though, -25F or so on average and snow.

wberminio
06-17-2011, 05:53 PM
David

I'm just north of Manhattan. 30 min a world a part.
I enjoy visiting-But working is another story-

Can't get into buildings until 10am have to leave by 4pm
Fight for the elevator
Pay off the super
No parking anywhere!
Find spot
Truck gets towed
Truck gets ticketed
Truck gets broken into
Alternate side street parking.

Give me the beach any day:)

CNYDWW
06-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Another thing they don't have in Barbados. Dinosaur BBQ sauce and Helluvagood cheese, both on my burger with a cold Bud at the ready.

michael_schwartz
06-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Its nice finally getting our 2-3 months without a trace of snow. That doesn't include the odd dusting or summer frost...

dhunt
06-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Am I the only one having trouble understanding the Tutorial lady
at Autodesk's "Tips from TheMakerGirl"
at URL
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL8BEC37C003B6C2BD

She has an unusual accent, speaks too quickly, and her diction leaves a lot to be desired..

dlcw
06-19-2011, 10:49 PM
No David, you are not. She has a VERY strong India accent and the sound is also very muffled. I don't see getting much from videos she does.

dhunt
06-20-2011, 06:29 AM
No David, you are not.
She has a VERY strong India accent and the sound is also very muffled.
I don't see getting much from videos she does.Glad to see I'm not alone...

I took the accent to be Chinese, but I'll have another listen.

At my stage of 3D non-knowledge with 'fancy programs' like this :)
I can gain a few bits here and there between her muffled garble
but it's the need for constant "translating" that wearies the brain!

gerryv
06-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Don, Thanks kindly for the response; very helpful. Gerry

geneb
06-20-2011, 10:41 AM
...she's from Eastern Europe. :)

g.