PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Dove tail jig

cip
06-19-2011, 12:11 PM
As those of you that know me know I do a lot of dove tail drawers for myself and others. Well I got tired of using a foot of my table for the jig. So I decided to add a foot to the end and get a permanent setup.

After gathering up the materials, 6" aluminum channel, 1/2" aluminum fish plates, bolts, etc. I went about the task.

A few hours later and lots of precise measuring it was ready for the testing and a recalibration of the software. The results were well worth the time and effort.

bleeth
06-19-2011, 05:18 PM
That's a familiar looking rail Mike!!

cip
06-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Dave
Yes it should, how were the beers?

Mike

bleeth
06-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Cold and wet!
With one jig on the right and 1 on the left do you set it up to keep going while you change out parts?

cip
06-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Dave;

I have a spread sheet that I developed that calculates the sizes of all the pieces for each box.

I cut all of the pieces for each box including the bottoms first. Using another jig and the Bot I cut the slot and drill the hole in the back for under mount slides. If a front hand scoop is required it is cut now as well.

Now we are ready to cut the doves.

With two jigs you cut the two opposite corners of a box in one operation then flip the pieces around and cut the other two corners; the box is now ready for assembly while the next box is being cut.

A box takes less time to assemble then it takes to dove the next box so the process is very fast.

Mike

myxpykalix
06-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I went and bartered for a dovetail jig and some other parts and am going to put mine together now so I may need to ask you some advice because i have never been able to get good dovetails. Good job Mike