PDA

View Full Version : Bit for screen spline channel?

kurt_rose
06-24-2011, 03:31 PM
I've been making a lot of custom screen doors lately and have been stapling the screen on and then covering the staples with a molding I make on the router table and table saw. I been thinking that if I could find a bit to cut a screen spline channel it would be an ideal job for the bot and really cut production time. Anyone know of such an animal? Another thought, do you think the wood expanding and contracting would make the spline give and release? The majority of the doors are made from mahogany and I believe it to be a really dense and stable wood. The one in the photo has the customers wifes name V carved on the center rail as I'm sure you can see. So how about it gurus? what say you's. I've searched without any results. Thanks for reading.

gene
06-24-2011, 04:22 PM
If you are using the round spline then a 1/8 bit or a 3/16 should work

gundog
06-24-2011, 04:28 PM
You could run a small dovetail groove and use the rubber screen door beading to hold the screen in. I use dovetail grooves for holding in O ring seals. You would have to experiment with bits size and depths to see what works best. I cut all my dovetail grooves with a straight bit first and then run the dovetail so I don't have problems with cleanout. Keep in mind I machine plastic but I don't see why it would not work on wood.

Mike

michael_schwartz
06-24-2011, 04:38 PM
That's a nice door.

You could have your local hardware store make screens to fit and then just staple the frames into a rebate, and then apply trim. My local Ace hardware will make them.

kurt_rose
06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Mike that's a wonderful idea! That way I could do storm windows also. I think that's the route I'll take. You the man!

gundog
06-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Let us know how it works out. By the way that is a nice looking door if my wife sees that she will want me to try and make one.

Mike

geometree
06-26-2011, 10:48 AM
I use the table saw to cut a groove in the stiles and rails before assembly. 1/8" spline fits nice and tight. Then screw on the stop molding just in case the screen ever needs to be replaced. Alternately, where a storm window is needed, make two wood frames that fit into a rabbet on the door. One with screen attached, one with glass. Getting someone else to make up the screens sounds like a good idea to me, but not allowed in the shop I work at.

myxpykalix
06-26-2011, 11:55 AM
THey make 3 or 4 different thicknesse's of splines. Take a couple small router bits to the store and compare to see what might be the closest fit and buy that one.
Since it won't matter, i would probably opt for the biggest one and rout your groove a bit deeper then normal so that you have more surface area of the round spline holding the screen in.

I just made a screen door and what i did was to route a dado out on the back and insert a already made screen into place. That might be easier. You wouldn't be subject to any shrinking issues then.

gc3
06-26-2011, 01:42 PM
used to put screen in like that.....but not "cleaner friendly" switched to al frame plunger mounted or surface mounted with clips. easy r&r to clean

bleeth
06-26-2011, 06:31 PM
We used an 1/8" bit mounted in a trim router with a pin in the base as a guide. Hand plunged it and did hundreds of doors that way. Then put screen molding over it after it was splined and trimmed.
Storm glass option used clips that would be replaced with decorative screw buttons when not in use.