PDA

View Full Version : Free Coffee Sign

michael_schwartz
06-25-2011, 06:39 PM
I made this as a sample for my showroom.

The sign was cut out of a solid piece of 4/4 brown maple that was about 13" wide.

Finishing details are as follows.

Sanded to 220.
Cleaned all dust, and wiped the surface down with a mix of 50/50 DNA H20
Applied Target coatings em1000 WB sealer with a brush.

Painted letters with 2 coats of benjamin moore steel wool (color) flat. using a $1.00 artists brush. Sanded to remove excess paint. The WB'S seem work well as a mask since they tend to sit on the surface.

Since I sanded back much if not all of the first seal coat, I applied a second coat of EM-1000. After that dried I scuff sanded with 400, and wiped off the dust with a mix of 50/50 DNA H20.

Applied 2 coats of Target EM2000 WB varnish (Satin) as a top coat with a HVLP gravity gun.

joe
06-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Michael,

Thanks for posting your sign and the excellent step by step process. I like all the negative area showing lots of attractive wood. Attractive signs like this for your showroom will increase sales.

Please keep posting

Joe Crumley
www.normasignco.com (http://www.normasignco.com)

kartracer63
06-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Very nice sign!

gc3
06-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Nice, clean and simple. So you made the switch to waterbornes.....how do you like them so far?

michael_schwartz
06-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

I am working on another pair of samples right now. Should have them done towards the end of the week.

Something I have noticed is that colors that are are a bit lighter really bring out the depth of carved letters, and details. Especially at a distance where a dark color such as black may not immediately appear to be carved.

I am pretty happy with the results I have been able to achieve using waterborne coatings. I still use danish oil from time when I do not need a durable top coat but I think I am going to phase that out for pure tongue oil cut with citrus solvent for when I do oil/wax finishes.