PDA

View Full Version : lost position

steelcnccutter
06-26-2011, 09:20 PM
ok ran program, ran it again to clean out grooves and it quite in the middle and where it stopped became zero for some reason. can anyone tell me how to get to a real zero point or am i done. thanks

"most questions are statmentents in disguise"

myxpykalix
06-27-2011, 04:56 AM
I assume what you are asking is how do you get back to your original Zzero origination point?

Here is what i do when starting a file.

When i create the file I usually always use the center of the material as my Z zero.
When i do that the Zzero, depending on the size of the material, will always be in a different place on the table.

How i keep track of where that point is, is first I find the center of my material and draw an X
Then I do a C3 and get back to the lower left of the table and 0,0 on the control software.

Then I jog the bit to the center of the material where i made my mark.
I take those coordinates (example X is 33.56, Y is 22.44) and I write them down.
THen I zero my X,Y
Now my starting point is Zero in the center of material.
If my machine craps out and i lose anything, to get back to my center all i have to do is a C3 again then move the carriage to the coordinates i wrote down earlier and i'm right where i started.

Others do basically the same thing from a dropdown menu using an offset however if you don't have your coordintes written down and you have a hiccup you lose that info also.

bob_s
06-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Another somewhat lazier way to do the same thing is the UV utility-view command that shows you the x zero and y zero positions in "base coordinate offsets" Use a meaningful name, so you don't make my mistake of having six of them with Data for a name. These are the same base coordinate offsets that Jack suggested you write down, but you can get to them even after you started work and realized that you project is in danger if the machine hiccups.

gc3
06-27-2011, 08:17 AM
...so did you finish the file ;)

steelcnccutter
06-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Jack and Bob thanks for the imput I will put this information to work for now on. I guess this was a lesson learned . the material was not expensive but it could have been. Gene no I did not figure a way to finish it . the cut has become a wall hanger for little while to remind me to do as Jack and Bob explained. And Gene you told me to keep a notebook around and write all down feel free to say "i told you so" cause I know why now . again thanks for helping.

ATX Poly Products
06-27-2011, 02:56 PM
I have my proxy switches set to where if I come off them .5 inch that is my real zero for x and y...

gc3
06-27-2011, 07:27 PM
...well steven is not new to cnc, a plasma guy who got a great bot machine......, time to tell your lucky story :p