PDA

View Full Version : Circle question.

kurt_rose
06-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi guys. I'm making a bunch of trim rosettes with a circular bullseye pattern. I'm having a problem when I get to the outer portion of the circle. I'm getting a lot of up and down Z motion leaving a ruff appearance. My artcam 3d model show this also so it kind of explains it I suppose. could my graphic card not be good enough and could that be the culprit or am I just missing something when designing. Thanks in advance, Kurt

Brady Watson
06-30-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm assuming you are using an offset strategy?

Change the toolpath tolerance (not allowance) to 0.0025" and see if that reduces the issue.

-B

jdervin
06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure if you're having the same issue as I am. Could you post a screen shot of your ArtCAM 3D model?

kurt_rose
07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
It didn't make a difference Brady. I can see the ragged edge in the 3d model so I guess the bot is just doing what it's told. John, my thumb drive is MIA and I don't have Internet on my SB puter. I'll try to get down to Staples after diner tonight.

bleeth
07-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Kurt:
There is a smoothing tool in Artcam. If you run a couple of smoothing passes at default setting before you toolpath it that should fix it.
Another way is to offset your outer vector by a couple thousandths inward and limit your 3D work to that and then cut it out with a profile pass.

It's a resolution thing and happens on both AC and Aspire. They both have the smoothing tool. Don't use too many passes or your sharp edges will turn into radii. You can find it in the Relief drop down menu or under relief tools (Looks like the bear suspended over a rounded hill)

kurt_rose
07-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks Dave. I'll give it a try and report back.

myxpykalix
07-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Did you check your vectors to see if you have some vectors close together that is causing the circle to not be exactly round thereby causing the ragged cutting? Sometimes you have to zoom in alot to see them.

Brady Watson
07-05-2011, 07:51 PM
What you see is what you get. If you can SEE a problem/bump etc on a 3D preview, then you are going to see it when you machine.

Turn the power way down on the interactive sculpting smoothing tool & buff it out.

-B