PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Sample Projects

stump
07-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I was asked to put some of our puzzles into a display case at the local bank for the next 4 weeks. Well, it served as the prodding I needed to play with the 'bot and see what else we could do. The cribbage board turned out well, I used a wiping stain on it, but if any one has an idea on how to get the image to pop out more I would love to hear it. Finishing has always been my weak spot. The address sign is just the sample that comes with the software, with the name changed.

COBOB
07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I don't know if he ever posted it here, but, I know Tim Merril posted his article on Glazing on the Vectric forum. You should check that out. It would really make those images pop.
You would find that here;
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6622

myxpykalix
07-10-2011, 03:38 PM
try gel stain. It has the consistency of mud and it goes into the cracks and crevices and serves to accent details.

kurt_rose
07-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I do a lot of turning and when I wanna make the grain pop I use a couple of coats of BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) and let it cure for a couple of days. Then a few coats of wipe on poly with a little light smoothing with some 00 steel wool in between coats. The wipe on dries quickly and and takes no time at all. It's pretty much fool proof. I'm sure you'll like the final results. Beautiful work by the way and what a great idea!

stump
07-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Robert, thanks for the link to the glazing process. Looks like something to try. I downloaded a copy of the PDF for future reference.

Jack, I will pick up some gel stain next time I am in town.

You know, that's why I like the puzzles. They're made out of Cherry with a Danish Oil finish. When we did larger volumes we actually just dipped them and hung them out to dry. Quick and simple...