PDA

View Full Version : Shaker entry table + arts and crafts stand

michael_schwartz
07-10-2011, 09:45 PM
This first project is just a simple shaker entry table with some arts and crafts elements (curved aprons). I cut the aprons out on the Shopbot. This saved quite a bit of time vs cutting them out on the bandsaw, and or using a router template. Laying out a fair arc and then cutting it as such is time consuming when done with traditional methods.

The aprons were then joined to the legs with Festool Domino's.

Wood is cherry sanded to 400 grit and finished with 2 coats of Watco danish oil. I have been using Waterborne top coats almost exclusively in the recent months however you really just can't beat the look of danish oil on cherry. This particular table doesn't really need a durable top coat as it is for occasional use.

The second project is just a simple arts and crafts stand I built one day since I needed something to put my keurig (coffee maker) on. I had cut the double tapered legs from 8/4 QSWO using the Shopbot about a year prior for another project which never materialized. The finish schedule is too long to mention since I decided to experiment, but it does involve numerous WB products from target coatings.

myxpykalix
07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
They both look like great projects. Isn't it great how you can make something that custom fits what you need by using the shopbot? Good job!:)

michael_schwartz
07-10-2011, 10:21 PM
They both look like great projects. Isn't it great how you can make something that custom fits what you need by using the shopbot? Good job!:)

The best part is when I screwed up one of the aprons while cutting the mortises it only took a few minutes to go put another piece on the bot and re cut the part.