PDA

View Full Version : How to build a 3D Diamond

graphixgarage
07-11-2011, 07:34 AM
I have a client that would like a 3D diamond on their sign. It needs to be 24" wide by 18" tall and about 8"-10" deep. Amy suggestions on how to build and cut this? I'm having a little trouble with the angles of the cuts. I will be making it out of HDU. It also only needs to be a half of the diamond on each side of the sign.

thanks for any suggestions!,
JEN

bleeth
07-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Jen:
If you have Artcam I believe they already have "relief clip art" for that in their models library.
To make your own there is a "create angled plane" tool in the relief tool section. It's a little tricky to figure out the first time but then it goes well.

I am not sure whether Aspire has that tool but if it does it would work the same way. If you contact SB they will walk you through it.

MogulTx
07-11-2011, 08:20 AM
I don't see it in Aspire 3.0... but that is something that I would find VERY interesting. If this is in a sub-menu or something and someone can provide direction to find it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Monty

graphixgarage
07-11-2011, 08:24 AM
thanks, I'll check it out. I also wasn't sure if I want a solid piece.. that would take a lot of HDU. I was thinking of cutting the pieces out of 1" and glueing them together with a hollow inside.

JEN

CNYDWW
07-11-2011, 08:44 AM
What kind of detail are you looking for with the diamond? I doubt this would be enough but this is what i came up with in a few minuets.

bleeth
07-11-2011, 12:21 PM
To build the parts and construct it as a box each face joins to the next in a compund angle (like crown) and determining the right bevel can be tricky unless you draw it as a 3-d construction in an engineering program (like Acad 3-d) that will give you the true angles they meet at. If you take the 4 sided flat top figure that is posted here as an example where the sides fit together the angle of the bevel is not 45 degrees even though it may look like that from a top section.

Attached is a shot of what comes in Artcam as a sample relief.

jimboy
07-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Maybe this?:o

graphixgarage
07-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Dave,
That is the style I need to cut. I am hoping to route each panel and then assemble it.

Jen

bleeth
07-14-2011, 04:50 PM
If you get the angles correct you could probably route the pieces face down with the bevels being done as a 3/d. It will be a bear to get the design right! I would cut the parts on a saw or the bot and bevel them on a saw or with the Amana bit that has an adjustable chamfer.
If you get your HDU slices laid out as a solid you may find you can nest some smaller upper sections inside waste in lower sections.
How bought using pink foam and coating it with epox?

Coleman Becker
07-15-2011, 02:48 AM
you could take a look on google sketch up warehouse and find a 3d model.

Gary Campbell
07-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Jennifer..
I have a version of Perfect Cuts that will calc the angles and lengths. I can cut your 3D diamond on my compound slider. (or table saw for that matter) If you email or call with the sizes, I can give you the cut lengths and angles. email below left in red

bleeth
07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Nice little program.
For $12.95 can't be beat.

myxpykalix
07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Unless you get help from one of the contributors here, trying to figure this out and cut and assemble this as a hollow object is going to be far more work then the savings on materials.

Then you need to be concerned with failure at dozens of joints in this put together model. If you don't have the clearance to make full "sides" of the diamond then i would take the thickest piece of material you can use and cut it in "slices". That would give you far more gluing surface and less concern about failure at these mitered "facets"

graphixgarage
07-16-2011, 07:17 AM
My daughter is a Cad designer and has drawn out the diamond for me. She also is going to see if she can get me cut sizes and angles.... I'll see how it goes! May have to just go with a solid.

thanks for all the great advice!
JEN

I would upload an image... but not sure how to.

tgm
07-17-2011, 02:34 PM
You can very easily do this in SketchUp in a manner of minutes or less. You can then dimension the part, get the required angles from the model and machine upside down as Dave has mentioned. We have done this plenty of times and we just tape and fold together for final assembly.

Good Luck

Tom in PA

graphixgarage
07-19-2011, 07:41 AM
I have a file from google sketch and have all of the angles. The only problem is knowing the bevel edge cuts so I can glue it together. I have never used google sketch and not sure if I will be able to use the file at all.
JEN

Gary Campbell
07-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Jennifer...
If you have the sizes or a 2d DXF I can cut this for you, glue up if you like. I can UPS to you if you are not up for a road trip down 28.

Email in RED in profile (below left)

graphixgarage
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
http://http://www.thegraphixgarage.com/custom-signs.html

bleeth
09-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Sign looks great Jen!
Which method did you end up using?

(For those who can't see the picture posted try tracking down Jennifer's website-it's on the front page)

graphixgarage
09-26-2011, 09:52 AM
I used a CAD 3D file my daughter drew for me. I used 2" HDU and cut 4 layers and glued them together. Worked great!

bleeth
09-26-2011, 12:16 PM
It certainly worked well!