PDA

View Full Version : Tips/Tricks for Removing Pinions?

nat_wheatley
07-19-2011, 08:58 AM
I have several to replace and am having a difficult time getting them off. Thanks.

Brady Watson
07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Remove the motors from the machine. Use an 1/8" allen key to remove the grub screws.

-B

nat_wheatley
07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Brady,

I've gotten that far. I'm having difficulty removing the pinion from the motor shaft. I tried an inexpensive gear puller, which broke, so I may need to track down something more rugged.

srwtlc
07-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Place the motors on end and put some penetrating spray on the end of the shaft/pinion and let it set for a while. Put a rag around the back of the pinion/shaft to soak up any that may tend to run down the shaft into the motor.

Make sure both screws are backed out far enough.

bleeth
07-19-2011, 12:30 PM
First: Spray and/or soak in some degreaser.
Instead of trying to pull them try to get them a bit further onto the shaft. That may be all it needs to loosen up the "crud" holding them. Make sure you have both screws loose. You should be able to tap the gear using a piece of emt if they are flush with the end of the shaft.
With the allen screws loose and the motors mounted "bump" the motors a bit. That may loosen them. A little heat gun may help as well. BE CAREFUL!!

Brady Watson
07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
You should not have to apply that much force to remove the pinions. Are you 100% certain that there isn't another grub screw below the one you removed. I've been there...and found that to be the case a few times.

-B

nat_wheatley
07-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks very much for the input. I had to reassemble it for the time being, but will give it another go when I have some 'free' time.

myxpykalix
07-19-2011, 04:37 PM
you may want to go down to the autoparts store and get a "timing belt puller" that might work for you but also make sure you have plenty of lubrication.

gc3
07-19-2011, 05:28 PM
six pack of cold 'uns, big hammer :eek: