PDA

View Full Version : pricing

jerry_stanek
07-20-2011, 12:56 PM
I normally don't cut signs but I was approached to v carve the letters and outlines plus the texture in the small oval and I am not sure what the going rate would be for this. It would be just the machining.

jerry_stanek
07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Here is the picture

magic
07-20-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd charge 50 to set it up, because you have to center the artwork, change bits ect.

In 2D it's 60 cents a lineal foot for a single path but V carve may need multiple passes if you have a flatish bottom so you need to adjust.

That's a starting point, for me. Harder material and multiple passes cost more.

50 skateboards perimeters that are 90 inches are cut for a flat rate of 125 which includes swapping them out and the set-up. but I do this 4 times a month and already have the files and jigs made.

For the texture in the oval, 3D is 65 cents per square inch at .25 deep = 75 at .35 85 at .5 - (charge another 20 for the bit change)
I have NO idea how my prices compare with any-one else's so maybe we can get something going here because I may be way off from what others are getting.

- - - -

If you have Artcam there is a Time Generator in the tool path section.
But I just figured out that it has to do more-with how many lines of code rather then the length of the cut
AND something like your GPS... as you get closer to the end it adjusts accordingly
I believe....

bleeth
07-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Jerry:
You need to verify that the supplied artwork will not need a lot of work to get it toolpath ready. You could end up spending as much time on that as actually cutting the sign. The texture could use a different bit. I never quote flat rate for something like that until I have verified their Artwork. Start with a rate for setting up the tool and cutting. Shop rates vary. For one-offs and mini jobs I always charge max per hour. Let them know if their artwork is good you will still spend 15 to 20 minutes importing it into your program and toolpathing it and a minimum should be applied.
I think if you don't get a good 100 to 150 it's not worth it unless you would like the exercise.

magic
07-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I agree on checking the artwork including zooming way in and looking for coincidental points. Also... the cutter might cut the material differently then the artwork is imagined and the customer needs to know why.

I had a neighbour bring me an ai. file with a different color stroke around the text and they wanted vinyl cut. I had to separate the stroke from the letters and fill-in the stroke. cutting it separately from the letters. That was 4 hours to fix.

- - -

But back to prices....
Anyone else?