PDA

View Full Version : Get the ball rolling

FJ Baker
07-22-2011, 03:46 PM
I have been researching and going back and forth for the past 8 months about buying a cnc and have decided to make the cnc leap and go with a shopbot. I have zero experience with cad or cam but am very comfortable with computers. I would like to get the ball rolling and get a jump on the learning curve before I get my machine. Any suggestions?
Thanks
FJ

Also, I live in Chicago. If there is anyone willing to let me come by and get a look at their setup I would greatly appreciate it.

adrianm
07-22-2011, 04:16 PM
You should get download links for the PartWorks software emailed to you from ShopBot.

Work your way through the tutorials on the Vectric.com website (they make Partworks - VCarve = Partworks, Cut3D = Partworks3D).

ATX Poly Products
07-22-2011, 07:48 PM
I also had no history with cad-cam before my shopbot purchase a year ago.

In that amount of time I have learned alot from this forum and though trial and error... But not with to many errors luckily!

We are here to help...

Adam

Rob Gunn
07-25-2011, 03:17 PM
John, I have had my used 11 year old PRT96 for 5 mouths now and have never regretted getting it. I started out by downloading the free trial software from Vectric V-Carve pro and played around with that for a few weeks prior to getting my machine. The free software and all the tutorials on YouTube were all very helpful. You may even find that the cheaper Cut 2D or Cut 3D may work for what you need to do, these also have a free trial download. I also find that the guys on this forum are the BEST you can get for needed info and help. Welcome to the club!

dan_nelson
07-25-2011, 06:13 PM
John no regrets on the bot purchase 2 years ago I would also try the vetric package free down loads ,but beware soon you will want to cut and cut anything. If you want to take the trip north we are located in Palmyra Wi about 25 minutes north of Lake Geneva. We cut with a 120x60 .Design with Aspire, run the bot with Mach 3. We do anything from signs to cabinets feel free to call 262-719-2689 Dan Nelson

FJ Baker
07-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it and am sure I'll be looking for your guidance in the future.
FJ