PDA

View Full Version : Furniture doors

cnc_fabricator11
08-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Good morning,

I'm test cutting a pair of doors for a record cabinet which measure to be about 18 3/4" x 37 3/4" overall. I'm trying to finalize a material for this project which involves some 3D cutting so whichever material I end up using has to be furniture grade and has to look nice when the material is exposed in its inner layers. I know MDO has the strength of plywood with the paintable surface of MDF but I'm concerned about the look of exposing the inner layers. I don't think I will be able to biscuit join wood together for an overall piece because my tool paths go through the material in several spots. Would anyone happen to have a suggestion for material in this application?

Thanks,

-Patrick

Gary Campbell
08-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Patrick...
MDO is a Fir plywood that may have voids or patches in the interior cores and I dont think it would work that well for your purpose. Nor would any plywood due to the use of "not so pretty" species for inner core layers.

IF your project is to be painted, then MDF (and the required sanding) would work if sealed well just after cutting. My choice would be to glue up pieces of Poplar, Maple or Birch. They all take paint well. I dont, and for that matter, neither does the industry as a whole, use biscuits for this purpose. They are uneeded. Just make sure your pre glue joints are good and you dont clamp stress into the panel.

If a stained solid wood is required, then I would use a species that matched the cabinet.

steve_g
08-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Solid wood with a glue joint panel (not biscuit or dowel) In a coped or lapped joint frame IMHO would be the safest/most logical solution. Others with more experience with doors may have other ideas.

Steve

While I was typing the man with more experience posted!

gc3
08-10-2011, 02:32 PM
here are some mdf panels straight off machine, client loves the "textured" look from not sanding...easy for me...but you could do a floating mdf panel with stile/rail frame if doors are to be stained dark or painted.

cnc_fabricator11
08-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks or the insight everyone. I'll most likely move forward with Maple or Birch, and I'll let you know if I have any further issues.

Thanks,

-Patrick