PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Stuff

crash5050
08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
I was just wondering about the climate of folks sharing designs for cabnitry and say entertainment centers, tables, etc. I am on the verge of buying a new Shopbot PRSAlpha 96 x48 with spindle and ATC.

Also with the eCabinet Dongle.

I know people aer protective of thier designs, but seeing that I am not in the same market as most of you guys, I wouldn't be competition.

The deal is that I am a 100% disabled Vet who is having the VA purchase the machine for me so I can have somewthing to do and possibly make some money in the process. It is call unemployability, and they try to help.

Just wondering, no harm no foul.

David

bleeth
08-24-2011, 05:44 AM
David:
Since you are getting the E-cab dongle you will find quite a bit of nice stuff in the e-cab library to assist in getting general entertainment center designs modified for the specific needs of the end user. There are quite a few e-cab users out there who have made some very nice designs available.

Gary Campbell
08-24-2011, 08:11 AM
David...
There are a good number of ShopBot users here that design our work using eCabinets. If/when you do make the plunge, register on the eCabinets website. This will allow you to download the software and also enable you to download a good number of cabinet and furniture libraries that have been designed by other users and the Thermwood staff.

All of my cabinets are modifications of these provided "seed" cabinets. Many users are able to use them "right out of the box"

You also may want to sign up for the online training videos, as these are a great way to shorten the learning curve, and will allow you to get up and running in a much shorter time.

zeykr
08-24-2011, 08:19 AM
David, sent you a PM.

paul_z
08-24-2011, 09:51 AM
David,

I hope this works out and you get your bot.

An interesting apsect of owning a bot is that you can work at a pace that suits your abilities. Even the difficult parts such as getting sheet goods on the table can be eased by various types of lifts (many of which were invented by the people on this forum).

It will take time to master the bot and software. Go slow and enjoy the ride.

Don't rush into producing products for money. That can be an extremely frustrating experience.

Most of all, use this forum. Help and ideas are a few key clicks away.

Paul Z

CNYDWW
08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I have my own medical issues to contend with and it does get hard on the bad days but i still do it. Personally, I don't use Ecab but then i've been using Sketchup Pro for years. Sketchup in conjunction with cabinet parts pro will work fine for me without changing my process. Another option i would suggest to get you started, for cabinet doors etc. i would find a good quality supplier that offers custom options. It cuts costs down on startup considerably while offering a lot more options for your customer (at least for me). That said is in consideration of the limitations of me and my shop. I also outsource my finishing work on the bigger projects which is the hard part. Finding someone that wont kill your budget with the finishing process but also does quality work. I'm lucky enough to know someone who had been refinishing furniture for longer then i've been woodworking. He's fast efficient and nearly flawless with new custom projects after working for years with refinishing and repairing old furniture. I'm still looking for my adjustable work table so it makes it easier to work standing or rolling depending on my day. I could use an over head crane but limits of the shop don't allow at the moment. If there's anything you need, don't hesitate to ask these guys on the forum. They always do their best to help.

Regards
Randy

crash5050
08-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Just a lot of red tape right now, I need to get it all for around 30 to 50 K for the VA to pay for it.

zeykr
08-28-2011, 01:12 PM
David,

Give me a call. I'm near Rogers, AR.
479-seven-eight-nine-2611

Ken Zey