PDA

View Full Version : ? Cutting a large sign

terryjones
09-21-2011, 05:47 PM
How do I divide the tool paths to cut a large sign from 4 4x8 sheets of foam. Aspire V2.5?
Thank you in advance for comments.

Terry

ssflyer
09-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Hi Terry,

It can be done in 2.5, but would require 4 different designs, each well matched to the seam. You would also need a good way to index each piece, so that they are cut in exactly the same place.

With a sign this big, you should have no problem upgrading to Aspire 3, which has a new toolpath Tiling Tool, which is exactly what you need to do this relatively painlessly! I believe the upgrade is still $400.

carl_l
09-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I would upgrade to Aspire 3 also.
May I offer a thought or two? - This design is screeming at me to be more 3 dimentional for a couple of reasons - first is I like layers - second is I would not want to piece a sign that large in the middle of a 3D carved piece - 2 seams is bad enough but 4 seams? yikes! (It has to crack over time with weather and humidity changes) How about you do the the sign in 4 pieces and lettering as planned - V-Carved or whatever - then cut one circle to match the recessed coffeecup in size and then cut the coffecup all by itself and layer that on the circle on the sign? I believe you will end up with a more impressive sign with less headache during production and down the road.

terryjones
09-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Thank you Ron, I understand what you are talking about and that I think would be very tedious. I guess I will need to upgrade.

Carl my plan is to make the Coffee cup an insert. I also plan to back the foam with plywood but the seam line will be staggered the seams of the foam to make it stronger. Then once all assembled, I plan to hard coat completely to bind it into one solid piece.

Thank you both for you help.
Terry

JohnG
10-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Terry.

Its always easy to make changes to someone else's design..... I hope you don't mind.
I think you should beef up the lettering a bit. I realize a "critique" of the design wasn't part of your question, but it seems like your on the right path with backing up the panels.....so.

Again, I hope you don't mind....I just felt like playing around. For the most past, this would not use any more material than your original.

Chuck Keysor
10-03-2011, 10:53 PM
For what it is worth, I think the larger letters significantly improve the visual appeal of this sign. Chuck