PDA

View Full Version : First carving in a year and a half

David Iannone
10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I know this project seems simple to most, and it is a v-carve sample file, but to me it was a great achievement to run my bot again. It has been 2 years at least since I have run it. It is in the second half of my 2 car garage. I had a serious life altering work injury a little over 2 years ago, but finally now am getting back to moving around better and back to my hobby. My Shopbot is a 2001 PRT but it cuts today just as good as it did 2 years ago. I had to knock a few spider webs off it. I almost sold the bot a year ago, but since it paid itself off many many years ago, I just couldn't do it. I am so glad I still have it. Time to start carving again! :)

Dave

andyb
10-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Dave,
Glad you are back.

Andy B.

beacon14
10-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Welcome back, we've missed you. Glad you are well enough to fire the ol' girl back up!

myxpykalix
10-11-2011, 12:11 AM
david,
its kind of like riding a bike, you never forget how to, and don't remember how much fun it is till you get back on and ride!:eek:

The nice thing about having it paid off is you don't begrudge it sitting there because you aren't writing a check every month.
Hope things are getting better for you physically. :D

wberminio
10-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Hope all continues to go well for you!

jimboy
10-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Right on Dave...Get carving and enjoy
Jim

ATX Poly Products
10-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Good for you! I see some RC dodads in the one photo...

I am also a RC fan, I do parts for the HPI Baja 1/5th scale and have been into rc's for a long time...

Adam

gc3
10-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Good luck and welcome home!

David Iannone
10-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks Jack, you hit the nail on the head. I am just getting back on the bike. Programming toolpaths, moving the bot around and tool changes, zzeroing, using pieces of scrap to make samples. Lots of fun. Since there is not a check to sent each month, it is like a piece of furniture at my my house now and has been for many years. its just a matter of how I make use of such a valuable tool for the future. But today and yesterday was just some good old fun practicing cutting samples. :)

Yes the RC radio and RC car in the background is for an old associated TC3 4 wheel drive electric touring car. I just got it out the other day when I woke the bot up. I have been blasting it up and down the street at blazing speeds. I am starting to try to play with my toys again. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the welcome back. Its good to be back. I have learned so much all these years Ihave had my bot by reading this forum. Shopbot makes a solid product and has a great support structure.

Dave

jimboy
10-12-2011, 03:28 PM
I’ll bet it’s good to have the sawdust flying again Dave. I was laid up for almost a year and when I finally got back on my feet again it was so enjoyable to be up and moving. Passion for life and passion for virtually anything and everything so I think I know how you feel.
Jim