PDA

View Full Version : Would you try to turn this part?

knight_toolworks
08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I have a company that wants me to make their product. But I don’t think it is practical to do the turning on my cnc machine. I think I would end up just tying it up on that one job.
The part is 18” long and I think about ¾” in size sanded with a square end. Made from maple and domestics and tropical woods and sanded.
Right now they are looking at 1000 or so but it could jump way up.
cutting the hook and such is easy and will be fast. but I am thinking getting the round may be a job for a production turning shop.
I could see it paying for the 4 axis upgrade.

gabepari
08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I would sub out the turning and do the notches in house. Faster turn-around and higher profit margin.

But getting an indexer would be more fun

Gabe

knight_toolworks
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
I found it is almost 2" around. Yes that's what I figure. I have a wooden table and it would be some work to get a indexer m9ounted not much room.

myxpykalix
08-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Steve,
It's hard to tell from the picture but this looks like a simple tapered piece which you could probably do in several minutes apiece using the "turning round" wizard in virtual tools.
If you give me the specific deminsions I would be willing to make a piece to see how long it might take to make them yourself.

knight_toolworks
08-26-2008, 04:24 PM
here is the drawing. it should be 18" long for reference. thanks for the help. I think this could be done pretty fast in a production turning lathe. a cnc lathe. they have a budget of about 8.00 each not including materials.

2880 (17.6 k)

myxpykalix
08-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Steve,
if you can give me these deminsions i can go out to the shop and try to whip one up. It looks like a fairly simple pattern to follow but i'd like to make sure i have it right first.

knight_toolworks
08-26-2008, 05:21 PM
those are simple. just move the part in the middle of the long one select all and check and make sure it comes out to 18" if not change it.
1.5 x 1 3/16"

myxpykalix
08-26-2008, 05:49 PM
maybe its me, but i don't understand your answer?
Let me go out and see if i can create this profile without creating the claw. I'll be curious to see how long it takes and will let you know the times.

knight_toolworks
08-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I am terrible about explanation. ok check this drawing out. after importing select all and check the length if it is 18" you will know the size of all the parts. if it is too small or large change the x to 18 and the part is sized right.
or are you not using software you can measure the dxf with? see what I know about the 4th axis.
the end is 1.5" in diameter with the flats at 1 3/16"

2882 (17.5 k)

cmagro
08-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Given the number and simplicity of this item I would not use the indexer but just the bot. For a number of units that high I would want to make as many as possible at one time so the bot stays busy while you are finalizing the previous batch.

Looking at the picture...turn the unit on its "side". I'd put a sheet of MDF on my bot and surface multiple slots along the length. Then I'd make 8' wood blanks (you'd get 4 units per blank). You could easily get 10-12 rows filling up the bot (assuming a 96 unit). Do one side and then flip blanks over and do the other. When a full strip is done pull it out..put in a new blank and while the bot is working on the next blank you take the finished one and finalize each unit (i.e. cut it away from the blank, final sanding etc.). The other "slot" shown at the top (according to the picture) I would do using a simple jig and a router.

The amount of time spent loading each blank on the indexer itself would not make it worthwhile. And even if the piece only took a few minutes to make that would force you to wait for it because by the time you try to work on something else it's time to load up another piece.

Automatically thinking of and indexer (or lathe) when you see a turning is fine but like the little mutant in Total Recall said...."Open Your Mind"

I would consider getting 100 done in a day to be a safe estimate..in other words two full tables. This time estimate assumes program is written and ready to go. This also assumes you take a little time out to eat and play catch with your little boy.

I'll have a little bit of time in a few days and will show you what I mean. I'll have pictures and accurate time tables.

Christian

knight_toolworks
08-26-2008, 06:29 PM
how would you do a round taper on the flat?
the ends are easy and that's where the bot comes in. but I don't see how to do a round taper.

myxpykalix
08-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Steve,
I messed with it for several hours and the consensus i came up with is that Christian is right in that the indexer isn't the right tool for this job.
But i thought about it and thought something like this illustration might work.
Build a jig where you can hold several of these in a pattern where it is held by the top and bottom but the sides are exposed. Then make a toolpath that mimics the profile of the part i have illustrated and using a bullnose bit you can carve your round taper on the flat side then have it come down and do the other side.
Does this sound reasonable?