PDA

View Full Version : Two more newbie questions

Chuck Keysor
12-13-2011, 01:54 AM
Hello Again, more newbie questions:

In cutting my Christmas present plaques:

1) after loading the shopbot part file, and starting the spindle, I got the following error message: "Parameter Error Parameter Value Below Range for VS Setting to lower limit (.05)!"
I clicked the OK button. Then the same message appeared again, and I clicked OK again. Then the file ran perfectly.

Since I had to set some parameters in the Aspire toolpath program, I guessed this was a step-over, which I had set to .01. So I changed it to .05 for the next file. But I got the same error message again, and realized this parameter was probably set in a Shopbot file.

What is this, and where do I change this? And is there a simple explaination of how to choose this value?

2) In Aspire, I set the feed rate for 3 inches per second. Yet as the router was cutting, I estimated it was moving at only 1/4" per second. It was crawling.

I know people often say that the program chooses the feed rate, no matter what value you choose. But this was a narrow boarder about .2" wide, and .125" deep, and it was an 8" straight line. So why on earth for such a simple, shallow cut, would it crawl along at such a slow speed?

Do I have some other value set wrong that would make this go so slowly? Or is this just the way it is?

Thanks again, Chuck

adrianm
12-13-2011, 03:03 AM
Double check that you've got all the units set correctly.

A common problem is that people set the feed speed to be in inches/min when they though they were setting it at inches/second within the Aspire/PartWorks tool database.

dmidkiff
12-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Chuck, look under values and speed settings. Change the x and y move speeds. Not sure what they should be for you machine. Hope this helps.

Chuck Keysor
12-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Adrian, you were right, I was set for inches per minute instead of inches per second.

But I still have no idea what is the way to correct my parameter error.

Thanks, Chuck

srwtlc
12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Chuck,

After you set in/sec and set the desired feedrate, recalculate the toolpath and then save it again. The speed error should be taken care of then.

Otherwise, you can just manually edit the file. Look for the VS line and change the value to the feedrate you want.

adrianm
12-14-2011, 04:38 AM
As Scott says the parameter error was a symptom of having the speed set to inches/min rather than inches/sec. I should have made it clear in my initial post that both your problems would be fixed by changing that.

The SB3 software would have seen that you were requesting a cut speed of less than 0.05" per second so it adjusted it to the lowest it can cope with.

Once you've regenerated the file from Aspire with the correct settings the parameter error should go away.