PDA

View Full Version : two feins bitting the dust.

knight_toolworks
12-27-2011, 04:03 PM
I thought things would be ok once I stopped plugging them into each other. but a couple weeks ago one overheated and melted the plastic. now the second one is turning on and off.
I am wondering both of these are the ones with the electronic speed control wonder if that could be the problem. seldom do they run more then a few hours a day and they are both about 1 year old and bot have been repaired because I had one plugged into the other.

bleeth
12-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Hey Steve: Maybe it's time to go universal black box.

Brady Watson
12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Hey Steve: Maybe it's time to go universal black box.

Yeah...Ed Zack DiMundo :D

Or...find a professional vacuum pump that doesn't spin 20,000+ RPM that is made to last. God knows there's enough used equipment out there that can be had cheap...pretty much anything.

-B

knight_toolworks
12-27-2011, 05:09 PM
I have one two feins on one end and two 220v motors on the other. Started having the problems when I moved the feins to the box. but it's nice to use them to keep the noise down and keep the heat down in summer.

knight_toolworks
12-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah...Ed Zack DiMundo :D

Or...find a professional vacuum pump that doesn't spin 20,000+ RPM that is made to last. God knows there's enough used equipment out there that can be had cheap...pretty much anything.

-B
not sure if I have enough power. or I should say that I don't need a new electrical box. my box is full. I have 220 that I share with my tablesaw and bandsaw but usualy I don't use those. noise is the main thing that is nice with the feins. nice not to have earmuffs or be able to talk while the machine is running.

ron_moorehead
12-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi Steve,

I have one of the Feins with the electronic speed control too, and had the electronics start acting up and had it replaced under warranty, I got it back and ran fine for some time and then the vacuum started to surge while it was running, what I found that worked for me was to back off the speed control by one positions, ie don't run it at full speed, and it has been running great now for about 9 months since I did that. I figured that with the new speed control electronics the vacuum is design to keep a set speed with a sensor and running it as a vacuum system the sensor had no place to vary the motor speed if kept on high. I have also installed a cheep temperature read out on the output of the Fein to monitor temperature to watch for over heating. It runs around 117 degf most the time on the discharge of the Fein. I am working on a Adriano project to monitor the temperature and sound a alarm with a light if the Fein starts to overheat.

knight_toolworks
12-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I was thinking it may be the speed control I iwll try that tomorrow and hope the problem goes away. still have one that melted I need to take in.

br928
12-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Hi Steve,

I am working on a Adriano project to monitor the temperature and sound a alarm with a light if the Fein starts to overheat.

Cool. Is this another Arduino project?

ron_moorehead
12-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Yes I just miss spelled it Arduino. It will have a LCD display with a buttons to change the set point for the alarm, a RGB (red, green, blue) LED for a quick check to see temperature status, red for above set point, green for normal, blue for below set point.

br928
12-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Sounds like you are putting a lot of bells and whistles on it! And why not....the arduino platform allows you build about whatever you dream up. The hardest part for me was the programming (C++). I cut and paste a lot of the sample programs and then tweeked them. I wish I had something like this when I was a kid!

ron_moorehead
12-28-2011, 07:49 PM
My electronic skills are pretty good and I am not to bad with C++, but I gave the project over to my Grandson for a learning experience. My last project I finished with the Arduino this summer was a water level control for the pond.