PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Austin, TX Camp Shopbot !!!

billp
01-01-2012, 10:03 PM
If you're in the area we'll be having this year's Texas Camp at Wayne Locke's shop on Fri/Sat, Feb. 24/25th.
Wayne's Shop is in Southwest Austin just off of Hwy 290 at:
9000 Feather Hill Rd.
Austin, TX 78737.
It's always a two day event because there are usually a lot of people there, and many of them bring in projects they have designed/built on their machines for the legendary Texas Show and Tell session ( if we didn't limit how long each 'Botter could speak about their work it could easily be a 3-4 day Camp...). Having said that please start working on what you want to have ready for your time in the spotlight !
We'll start posting some details in the next few weeks, and as usual if you have any special areas you'd like to see on the agenda, drop me a note so we can work on it.
It will help all of us if we have some idea of how many people will be attending so we ask that you drop a note to Wayne or myself once your plans are locked in. I can be reached at- campshopbot@gmail.com See you in Austin !

billp
01-05-2012, 10:10 AM
In order to make it a little easier to sign up for this Camp we've created a simple online "form". So if you'll go to- http://goo.gl/OcI9P
you can fill in the blanks, and you're done! Thanks again...

billp
01-15-2012, 12:25 PM
If you'd like some extra time beyond the regular Show and Tell session to explain a specific process, or technique you have come up with, please contact Wayne or myself so we can work you into the schedule. Thanks !

billp
01-24-2012, 01:50 PM
We're getting a steady stream of RSVP's from the link we posted above, and if you haven't done so yet please fill out the simple 'reservation form' so we can keep a current head count of those planning to attend the Camp.
One addition to the schedule is that Gordon Bergfors , director of development at Shopbot will be on hand to discuss some of the latest things going on in Durham. He'll go over the desktop machine,the 5 axis setup, and the latest news on the prototype 3D printer ...
If you have any questions, suggestions please get back to me at - campshopbot@gmail.com Thanks !!!

waynelocke
02-03-2012, 05:51 PM
To All,

The camp is in three weeks away. The address of my shop is below and is easily found on google or by gps. If anyone needs help finding accommodations please contact me. There are several hotels nearby.

We are filling out the schedule of presentations so, if anyone has any requests or suggestions, now would be the time to make them. It would be great if some of the talented botters who show up would step up to do presentations on their work or specific techniques.

As usual be sure to bring plenty of "Show and Tell".

I am looking forward to the camp. Feel free to contact me.

If you haven't signed up yet please do so at http://goo.gl/OcI9P

Wayne Locke

Locke Design & Woodworks
9000 Featherhill Rd.
Austin, TX 78737
512-288-3472
www.lockedesign.net

billp
02-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Gary Beckwith has contacted me to confirm that he'll be at the Camp. As an Onsrud distributor he'll be bringing down brochures, samples, and know how. For any of you who have ever wondered about chip loads, and which bit works best in specific materials, this will be an ideal time to expand your knowledge base.
It's a unique situation to have a session like this conducted by someone who knows from first hand experience just the type of machinery and materials most of us are dealing with !

billp
02-14-2012, 12:51 PM
We're now going to ship one of the new desktop units down for the Camp, and Gordon will demonstrate the indexer unit, ( not sure about the 3D printer yet I'll update this posting when I can confirm that...).
By the way if anyone in Texas is interested in a desktop tool it would be a great opportunity to buy this one as you'd get to see it in operation, and you would save the interstate shipping charges as well !
For more info on this deal call Dianne at Shopbot !

garyb
02-15-2012, 02:51 PM
As Bill mentioned above I will be at the Austin Camp next week.
I will bring a box of the current production catalogs as well as our 3d tooling for those who want to save a few bucks.

Since there are a number of Shopbotters getting into cutting Plastics and Aluminum I have also added a short section covering chiploads, feedrates and tooling for these materials.
Look forward to seeing you all in Austin
Gary

DuaneCox2003
02-15-2012, 05:53 PM
This will be my first camp and I have a couple of questions:

Is there a set time for the camp to kick off?
Is there a recommendation on lodging close by?

Thanks, look forward to the camp.
Duane Cox

billp
02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Duane,
We usually start the Friday sessions around 10AM, and Saturday near 9.
This is what Wayne has suggested for hotels in the past. If there are any new entries I'm sure someone will chime in;

Extended Stay America Austin - Southwest
5100 US Hwy. 290 W.
Austin, TX 78735
Telephone: (512) 892-4272
Fax: (512) 892-4303
asw@extendedstay.com

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
AUSTIN-SUNSET VALLEY
4892 US HIGHWAY 290 WEST
AUSTIN, TX 78735 UNITED STATES
Hotel Front Desk: 1-512-8919500

The Heart of Texas Motel
5303 US 290 West
Austin, Texas 78735
512-892-0644 telephone
(The Heart of Texas is an older motel which seems clean and campy.)

billp
02-16-2012, 11:37 AM
We've got one week to go before the Austin Camp, so if you haven't contacted either Wayne, or Myself ( OR signed up using the link above...) NOW would be a good time to do so.....
In addition to the desktop, and desktop indexer mentioned earlier we will also have the new "3D printer head" at the Camp and in use. If you have any questions drop me a note at; campshopbot@gmail.com

billp
02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
We heard from Joe Crumley over the weekend, and he'll be coming down to the Camp with some examples of his latest work ! When you add him to the existing Texas sign making star contingent it's going to be a great chance to add to your sign building skills....!

waynelocke
02-21-2012, 03:20 PM
The Austin Camp is this weekend.

Friday the camp starts at 10 am and Saturday it begins at 9 am.

Parking is on the street. Walk down the driveway past the garage then turn left at the goats and you will see the shop.

Wayne

mikek
02-23-2012, 02:17 PM
There is a new motel near Dripping Springs that is also convenient. Not much traffic in that direction usually. Good Mexican food at Flore's close by.
http://local.yahoo.com/info-95074318-sleep-inn-suites-dripping-springs
Straight west from Wayne's place on 290.

MogulTx
02-25-2012, 11:17 PM
I really enjoyed the info exchanged and the creative ideas shared at the Austin Camp. There were a couple of notables missing- and their intellect as well as their creativity were sorely missed by me, and others. You know who you are!

I look forward to gathering with you people who have mastered and are mastering ShopBot machines... a wothwhile way to spend a couple days, for sure.

Special thanks for Wayne Locke, and Bill Palumbo. MANY MANY thanks.

Monty

dmidkiff
02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Thanks Wayne for hosting the camp again. As always it was very informative. Thanks to Bill for being MC for the weekend. Thanks to Gordon for showing the desktop and for help troubleshooting my machine. Thanks to Gary Beckwith for the help he provided and thanks too all who showed their products and techniques. It was good to see some old freinds and meet some new. Missed a few of the regulars.

Dave

mikek
02-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Ditto on the thanks to Wayne, Bill, Gordon, Joe, Santiago, Brook, Gary and host of presenters and show and tellers. As always, new ideas and tools float to the surface and get recognized and used in our own processes. Thanks to all of the regulars and new folks for attending and sharing.

lalogiagorral
02-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Wayne as always it was a pleasure to attend the camp this year at your shop ..... thanks all for the good information and good time ....
Thanks Bill and Gordon.
I hope to see you all soon.

lalogiagorral
02-27-2012, 08:48 AM
One more thing for Bill.
Pleas paste here the link to go to the web where the camps are I don't remember how to get there.
Thanks

billp
02-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Santiago,
Here's the link-
http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php/category/campshopbot/

billp
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
My turn to add thanks to Wayne, and everyone who helped put the Camp together. As usual we had good presentations with Gary Beckwith, Joe Crumley,Santiago Laverde & Gordon Bergfors heading up the "featured" sessions.
The Show and Tell also lived up to prior standards with everything from carved panels to plastic leg splints for lab rats (yes, REAL lab rats).
A personal thank you to Ken Picou who turned us on to a great local Cajun restaurant ( Evangeline's Café) .
And it's always fun to connect with the Texas Shopbot community.
I even got to spend an "extra"day in town as Continental couldn't figure out how to fix our broken plane so after 7 hours of delays they just canceled our flight .
I will download my pictures, and get them all posted tomorrow to the Camp Blog page.

lalogiagorral
02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks Bill

waynelocke
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks t o everyone who came to the camp. Thanks to Gary Beckwith, Santiago, Joe Crumbly, Bill, Gordon, Brooke Davis and all of those who brought "Show and Tell". Another great time. Thanks to all.
Wayne

billp
02-28-2012, 08:54 AM
I have tried to respond to your message twice and it keeps getting kicked back . You can use - campshopbot@gmail.com to send the pictures, thanks !

billp
02-28-2012, 09:43 AM
I forgot to add Brett Dickinson's name to the list of presenters. He showed pix of some of his award winning student projects, and also assembled his new "rolling desktop stand" which is a very clever piece of functional furniture. Pix will follow later today.

billp
02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
OK,
I've posted the Camp Blog and pictures. Here's the link-
http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php/2012/02/2012-austin-texas-camp-shopbot/

billp
02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Here's a shot which Dave Midkiff just sent in of Wayne and a name tag which Joe Crumley carved for him...