PDA

View Full Version : Resolution

jimmya
01-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Hello!
I was reading a post over in the vectric forum regarding "resolution" and i'm a little confused and hope someone here might have some answers. Reading this thread:
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13296 (wlmailhtml:{21D747F2-D910-46D7-A8D8-6E662C60DB81}mid://00000133/!x-usc:http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13296)
it talks about raising the resolution. It is under the "modeling resolution" tab on the left side bottom, and here is my question:
Does raising the modeling resolution only pertain to making the 3d visual representation on the screen better, and does it do anything to make the end resulting model that is created better or for that matter a bigger file due to the higher resolution? Does it make the end resulting toolpaths create a smoother better cutting?

Jimmy

harryball
01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
It only pertains to the 3D preview. Some systems are not able to cope with high resolution previews and modeling making them very slow. On those systems people may work in low resolution then when they are finishing up run a preview in high resolution to judge the work.

/RB

tmerrill
01-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Jimmy,

The resolution being discussed in the Vectric thread is the Model Resolution and only affects the 3D models.

For 99% of projects the 3 levels normally available are all that are needed. Under special circumstances, sometimes a higher resolution will improve the edge and surface quality of the 3D model, which relates to a better product after machining.

In my experience this is normally when you are modeling large components and the surface area of the material is larger than the area of the component. For me, this happens when I do long arched molding and at that time I will set the project up at one of the higher resolutions, but at a significant cost of computer time - every operation involving the 3D model will take longer.

You do have some control on the picture quality of the previews as they appear on your computer screen and save at. This setting is under the Preview Simulation Quality in the Toolpaths pull-down menu. This only controls how the model looks on your computer screen and has no connection to Model Resolution.

Tim