PDA

View Full Version : SBLink 1.0.18 bug report

dkrage
03-21-2012, 07:26 AM
For those of you using eCabs/SBLink I ran into an issue with ShopBot Link 1.0.18 that has been confirmed as a bug by Thermwood. It has to do with how SBLink handles door and drawer fronts grouped in ecabs.
It's on their to-do list to exterminate.

I created a single long cabinet in ecabs with three sections separated by partitions. The left and right sections contained three drawers of two different heights. The center section contained a top drawer and two doors below. See attached low-res image.

I specified the fronts to be grain-matched, so in ecabs I grouped the 9 fronts.
All is good for now. However, when the TWD was sent to SBLink and subsequently cut from a really pretty 4x8x3/4 sheet of expensive Teragren bamboo, the left and right side lower 2 of 3 drawer fronts were cut about 5mm short. oweee.

So, in order to do grain-matched (grouped parts) fronts I created a PartWorks file to make all cuts except the two rips splitting the lower 2 fronts on the left and right. This two cuts were done the "old-fashioned way"...on my 400lb 1972 Rockwell table saw.

Now I could be all hacked off that I blew a $400 sheet of bamboo...I'm not happy about that, granted...but I have to say I was quite impressed with Scott Vaal/Thermwood and his very timely response to my post on the Thermwood forum (initially within an hour, diagnosis by end of day).

Dan

dlcw
03-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for that info Dan!

I use eCabs and SBLink a lot and now I know to avoid this situation. I hope TWD gets a new release out in the near future. It will be 2 years this June since the last version.

chunkstyle
03-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Sorry about the spoiled panel Dan, it would be nice to get an e-mail blast of when these errors are found to avoid loss of time and materials.

Did the fronts nest correct in the e-cabs nest? I'm just wondering as I've completed a bathroom vanity that had horizontal graining running thru the slab doors and drawers that ran fine.
Was it only in the Link nest that the error occurred?

Thanks for the heads up.

garyc
03-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Tim...
Subscribe to the "Cabinetry and eCabinet/ShopBot Link" section of the forum. Then you will get an email when ANYTHING is posted in that section.

dkrage
03-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Don: You are welcome, I'm with you on a release soon.

Tim: After I found the incorrect fronts, I retraced all my steps...from the ecab model to the SB. As I'm a relatively new user I thought it was DAO on my part...
- The ecab model appeared fine (I used the tape measure tool to verify the dimensions popped up when hovering over the part)
- The cabinet loaded into the job with no errors
- The nest appeared OK.
Then after some ponder time, I posted on the Thermwood forum.

chunkstyle
03-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Hi Dan,

Thanks for letting me know. I read your post over at the Thermwood forum. Seems like a real oddity. I've cut out a similar constructed vanity cabinet a few months ago and all went well.
Cabinet can be seen at my web site by scrolling over the number 15:

http://stronghillcabinetry.com/kitchen-Naples3.html#

The E.B. was .027" and was applied to all the cabinet components show edges and all 4 edges of the door and drawer fronts. It nested and cut fine. Definitely a weird one.

Your cabinet designs looks great, by the way. I really enjoyed looking at that wine cabinet.

Tim