PDA

View Full Version : Floor , plywood or concrete ?

steve
02-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Well after a few weeks delay my new bot should arrive early next week. My question is about the floor , I have a concrete floor in the shop with 3/4" strapping and 3/4"ply on top . Great for walking.I was thinking I should cut through this so the bot legs could be on a solid surface , or at least make sure the legs are over the strapping. Would like some thoughts on this.
My first bot was a cable drive machine ,still have it! This machine is a PRS alpha 96-60-12 , dual-Z , 4hp HSd and 2.2hp HSD , index head and probe , did I miss anything ... oh yea , and 2 Feins for hold down.

ryan_slaback
02-23-2008, 09:44 AM
If it was me I would use a holesaw and cut out for the feet. The more solid the mounting the better.

GlenP
02-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey Steve, Good to see another canadian botter out there. I would make sure you have solid strapping under the legs for the machine to sit on. I din't know about your shop but mine is slab on grade and with the cold winters it can shift slightly with frost activity. I check my levels of the rail weekly to make sure they remain level. I have had to adjust once. If you drill holes in the floor for the feet to sit in it may make adjusting the leg levelers hard to get at. I agree the more solid the better. Sounds like you sure have a nice machine coming soon.
Glen

steve
02-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys , I think your both right ! ( how's that for Canadian) The more solid the better , what about vibration? on concrete it may shift the bot , on solid wood ( 2 layers of ply ) it may absorb the vibration . And the levelers will be eaiser to access on a plywood floor.
Thanks Glen , yea nice machine , if it was a Harley it would be a Road King Custom!

harryball
02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
You could also cut a hole under where each leg would go and pour some of that floor leveling concrete and build up a small pad flush to the top of the ply for the bot legs to sit on top of. Just make sure they are dead level or even slightly bowled in, a crown would be a problem.

/RB

myxpykalix
02-24-2008, 06:39 PM
I built my shop on level ground with cinderblock pads. On top of those is 4"x4"s with 2 layers of plywood. I was able to position the table so that the legs were over the floor joists. Although i haven't checked it lately i believe it is still pretty level but the floor "gives" enough to make it easy to stand on. I hate working on a concrete floor.

On cutting in the floor I would say by doing that you open up place where the cold will come in and keep your feet cold. Thats like leaving a window open in the winter. I would leave it over the plywood.

beacon14
02-24-2008, 11:10 PM
I would consider cutting out a small section of floor under each foot and laying down a piece of 2x8 into each hole (after sliding scraps of strapping under the unsupported edges of the flooring).

Alternately you could lift or cut away the plywood, add solid strapping under where each foot will go, then renail the plywood. I think I'd prefer this solution since it wouldn't create a trap for sawdust to accumulate under the plywood.

steve
02-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks all...David I think I will go with your "Alternately" , less work and no drafts. Checking for square and level seem to be part of life with a bot I will see how it goes with solid ply to the concrete.

handh
02-25-2008, 10:07 AM
My is on a wooden floor and have had no issues with level or vibration.

Jeff

wberminio
02-25-2008, 11:02 AM
one more thing.
I would wait until you know exactly where your machine will sit before you begin any cutting of your floor.You may find that you need to move it over one way or another.

Erminio