PDA

View Full Version : New to the site-Need PR96 help please!

marcrunner
05-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Hello,
I just aquired a PR96 shop bot. I have everything to start the build process except the table. If someone has a thread file on hand that would point me in the right directon on building a steel table that would help alot. My main question is whether or not to weld the entire table as one piece, or to bolt it together? I have the shopbot steel table plans. Any help would be appreciated thanx, Marc 916-859-0665

stephen_baker
05-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Marc
I built a steel table a few years back for my PRT Alpha. I welded the sides, running in the X direction and bolted everything running in the Y direction. This made moving the table relatively simple. Hope that makes sence.

SB

stephen_baker
05-19-2009, 09:56 AM
I used a dumpy level to level the table and rails, I have never seen this mentioned on the forum but it is a really quick and accurate way of doing this task. Not sure what you Americans call a dumpy level, but it’s an optical level with an accuracy of 2mm (80 thou inch) over a 1KM (2/3 mile approx) distance. If you rent the correct level with an optical focus for close work you can quite easily see 0.25mm (10 thou inch). I took a level at every bolting point on the rails and got them to within 5 thou inch, between points. I checked this using a machine level between each rail bolting point. Just something to consider, if you are setting up an older, angle iron rail Bot. Hope that all makes sense.
SB

cutitout
05-19-2009, 10:59 PM
I have used clear tubing and water - Make a U by taping one end of the tube on the far side then repeat on other side fill with water and then adjust hight to match water level. Old trick for leveling a pool table.