05-03-2012, 07:02 AM
A few things I've been working on.

steve
05-03-2012, 07:05 AM
a few more

khalid
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Stephen,
I liked all of your work especially the 4th axis one.

myxpykalix
05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
oh, is that all?;) oh man that is cool. No wonder we don't see you much in here. More great stuff Stephen:D

steve
05-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Well... that's not all, but I didn't want to seem like a show off.

Some of these are bought models.

Ajcoholic
05-03-2012, 06:55 PM
great stuff!

ajc

kevin
05-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks for posting Steve I missed your post.You raise the bar you inspired me . I don.t think I would have bought the indexing head with out seeing your work
The bed looks amazing

steve
05-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Hi Kevin,
Thank you for those kind words.
I have always loved turning, it just seemed to "fit" me, if you know what I mean. When I got my first shopbot ( a cable drive machine) there was no such thing as an indexer. I thought why couldn't you put a lathe under the router, so I got another control board and riged up a toothed pully and belt thing to run the lathe. It didn't compare to an indexer of course and those old machines didn't have much power but I did do flutting and reeding on it. So the machine I have now, with indexer, is the machine I've been waiting for all my life.
It's a matter of putting the bit where it will do the most good.
I insist on haveing some fun at work or screw it, I'll live on the street.

myxpykalix
05-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Stephen,
Now YOU ARE showing off! But it's a good kind of showing off, real inspiration, beautiful stuff! Is picture 2 above a bed? WOW! I had someone inquire recently about a 4 poster bed, that is nice, i'd like to see more pictures if you had them "for inspiration"!

Let me ask you, i have not done any reeding on my indexer but have done it on my manual legacy. There I just used a bearing bit and followed the profile. Do you just use the profile of the part, then set your cut depth (the width of your bit) but i have forgotten how you set it to do side cutting for the reeding?

Is it as simple as setting your Z zero to the center of the stock and setting the cutting depth as a Y deminsion?

Ajcoholic
05-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Why do you have to show stuff like this? Now I will have to explain to my wife, that the Buddy I just bought a few months ago isn't going to cut it, and we "need" a bigger Shopbot with indexer, etc ! :)

Just kidding of course... it is furniture parts like that, that really get me going. Something to aspire to in the future! I guess being a furniture maker myself, those carved turnings, and so forth appeal to me much more than anything like a sign, or cabinet parts will.

When you can produce parts like those shown you can do it all in house.

Do you just make the components for your own use, or do you also sell to other builders? Just wondering, that's all.

Once again, awesome stuff!

AJC

Ajcoholic
05-03-2012, 09:24 PM
a few more

How do you model the square "basket weave" pattern on the mahogany leg?

AJC

MarkPrescott
05-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Andrew,

Michael Tyler (mtylerfl) did a class on the basket weave at Jim Mac Grew's camp this year. He said he was going to post the tutorial on the Vectric forum I think. I haven't seen it yet but maybe you could send him a PM about it. He had the whole thing worked out with examples and everything. He the one that does the Vectric project's of the month, fantastic guy.

Just a thought.
Mark

Ajcoholic
05-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Andrew,

Michael Tyler (mtylerfl) did a class on the basket weave at Jim Mac Grew's camp this year. He said he was going to post the tutorial on the Vectric forum I think. I haven't seen it yet but maybe you could send him a PM about it. He had the whole thing worked out with examples and everything. He the one that does the Vectric project's of the month, fantastic guy.

Just a thought.
Mark

OK thank you. I am registered over there but not very active (one post only).

I generally have just a little time after work, and after the baby is put to bed to spend on the computer. And this place is so much fun! :)

AJC

jdervin
05-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Splendid work, just splendid. Your stuff always inspires me. Thanks for sharing.

myxpykalix
05-04-2012, 12:51 AM
here's one i did several years ago. At that time it was a PITA to try to get everything lined up correctly (probably more operator error):eek:

steve
05-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Hi Andrew,
Yes you definetly need a bigger bot with an indexer :-)
...and yes I make parts for other woodworkers, in fact that's where I'd like to see my business going. After 30 yeasr I'm tired of draging big stuff to customers houses, specialy beds and dressers... they go upstairs!
The square weave post was as Jack would say a PITA, not done on the indexer. I did a model big enough to cover all 4 side then divided into 4, in Artcam you can "blend" the edges, that was necessary to give the look of wraping around the corner. Still the allingment for each side is tricky and more than the usual amount of cleanup is necessary.
Jack, yea that's mostly it, just remember you can't stop the cut while it's in the wood, if you do the cutter will rise to "home" and cut through the piece.
Here's a pic of my method. I draw the cutter and move it around the vector to test the cut.
Have to go to work now, I'll have more pictures of that bed.

myxpykalix
05-04-2012, 07:44 AM
i'll be looking forward to the pics. I sent you an email direct, want to make sure you got it. Not sure i have your active email address.

MarkPrescott
05-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Andrew,

Just a thought.
Mark

Michael Tyler is a member of this forum, I think he has two ShopBots. Anyway the project of the month that he was talking about was this one:

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/projects/2012/03-bonus-weave-top-box/images/bonus-weave-top-box.jpg

I think he posts all of them here as well as on Vectric forum.
Mark