PDA

View Full Version : Mercer,WI Camp Shopbot !

billp
05-31-2012, 12:10 PM
To avoid any further potential confusion with the "Upper Mid West Camp"we're going to call this event the Mercer, WI Camp. It will be held on Saturday, Sept. 29th at the shop of David McNutt - Info regarding the Camp and signups will follow in the next few days/weeks. Here is Davids web page-
www.mcnuttgroupinc.com (http://www.mcnuttgroupinc.com/)

kartracer63
05-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Sign me up Doc!

I look forward to another camp and seeing David's shop.

billp
05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Eric,
Will do. David's new shop is huge, and he's got a LOT going on with the business.

bobmoore
05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
This is great. I/we will be there even though it is the last day of the trout fishing season.
Bob

billp
05-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Bob,
The Camps usually run from 9-4 so you might still be able to sneak in some fishing...See you there...

djmcnutt
06-03-2012, 10:55 AM
I look forward in hoisting my first camp, and meeting everyone. We built a new shop the fall of 2010 which has 3400 sq/ft of shop space and about 1000 ft of office and display area. The shop part of my business is called Turtle River Millwork and we build mainly custom millwork which consists of entry doors, interior doors and screen doors. Also cabinets and rustic paneling and trim packages. We use our ShopBot for cutting parts and carving 3D models into some of our projects. Depending on what everyone wishes to do I would hoist a cookout ether Friday night before or Saturday. There is allot of other things to do in the mercer area and great places to stay so I would suggest to come and spend a weekend and enjoy our great area. Look forward in meeting everyone!

backyard_cnc
06-27-2012, 03:22 AM
I wonder are you located right in the town of Mercer off US HWY 51? I was unable to locate your Parkway Drive address on yahoo maps. Looks like about a 10 hour drive from my home in Winnipeg, Manitoba so is certainly doable for a weekend trip. Are there camping areas closeby suitable for a small campers? Should still be comfortable camping wx in late Sept.

gerald

bobmoore
07-05-2012, 08:03 PM
September is around the corner for me. I vote for a Friday afternoon tour of Bob's shop and a Friday night barbecue. Let me know if you need anything from down south here in Gleason. I would like to see the 3D carving, tooling, and production proceedures/equipment for making glue-ups if possible.
Bob Moore

Nate Sirek
07-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Shopbot community and am interested in networking with fellow shopbotters...What exactly are these camp shopbot things and what part of Wisconsin is Mercer in?

billp
07-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Nate,
You might want to take a peek at THIS thread- http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15563
As far as Mercer's location there are a number of web based mapping programs that should be able to find it for you.

djmcnutt
08-11-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry I havn't answered some of these question until now. I thought I was getting emails when someone posted but I guess not. my shop is located just south of down town Mercer in the Mercer Business Park. It is new so some maps you won't find us. I have attached a map showing where we are from Hwy 51.https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en You can also go to Google Maps and search for McNutt Group, Inc. and it should bring you right to our map location. There is allot of camp grounds close by, state and county. The Iron county lake of the falls camp ground is about 6 miles from the shop and on the water http://www.ironcountyforest.org/Lake_of_the_Falls.html Late September should be very nice to camp "No Bugs"!:)

bobmoore
08-11-2012, 01:32 PM
I look forward to seeing your shop.
Bob

jtlodi
08-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm coming ...

Jim T

billp
08-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Bob, and Jim,
We'll add your names to the list of attendees today !

djmcnutt
08-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Nate we are about 3.5 - 4.0 hours from St Paul. Hwy driving or if you want cross country which is the way I always go. I like the back roads and it's very close to the same amount of time.

It's looking like Friday night we are going to have a cookout at the shop. As every one plans let me know if you will be able to make it there for the cookout. I have made arrangements for a special rate at the Cranberry Inn in Mercer for rooms. The rooms are very nice and they maybe the best in town. This is a Supper Club / Motel that we did a major remodel on a year ago. You can call Toni at 715-904-8899 and mention that you will be at the McNutt Shopbot Camp and the rate will be $69. per night. They only have 8 rooms so don't delay for to long. Rooms go fast in the fall. You can check the cranberry Inn out at www.cranberryinnofmercer.com (http://www.cranberryinnofmercer.com) Look forward to meeting and seeing everyone.

bobmoore
08-23-2012, 11:12 PM
David; I am trying to decide whether to stay in the motel or drive the 1.5 hours. What is the itinerary for Friday and Saturday? Start time, close time ect. Thanks
Bob

billp
08-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Bob,
The Camp itself is a one day affair-Saturday. The schedule is as follows;
8-9 coffee hour
9-Noon- Morning sessions
Noon-1 Lunch
1-4 Afternoon sessions.
The Friday PM gathering will be for anyone that arrives in town early.
I've already booked a room at the Cranberry Inn.

djmcnutt
08-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Bob, As Bill mentioned Friday night I'm going to have a cookout for anyone coming up early. You and everyone is more than welcome.

bobmoore
08-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks Dave but I was also curious about your hours for Saturday to determine whether to drive or get a motel room.
Bob

bobmoore
08-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Sorry I jumped the gun. I just now noticed Bill Palumbo's post of Saturdays hours.
Bob

dan_nelson
08-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Im delighted to say that both my wife and myself will be attending Bridget and Dan Nelson

billp
08-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the RSVP, we'll see the two of you there...

hunterland
08-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Do you still have openings for your camp? thanks Don Hunter

billp
08-25-2012, 05:47 AM
Yes we do...!

djmcnutt
08-25-2012, 07:55 AM
There lots of room in the shop. So your more than welcome. Hope you can make it. Dan look forward to meeting you and your wife. If your coming Friday make sure you let me know so I can be sure to have enough food for the cookout.

srwtlc
08-25-2012, 10:10 AM
On the list too. ;)

djmcnutt
08-25-2012, 10:20 AM
You and Ramona are on the list. I understand you made reservations at the Cranberry Inn also. You should like the place very much! It's very fitting for the Northwood's of WI "Rustic".

hunterland
08-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Sign me up and I will try to make it for the Friday cookout. Thanks Don

billp
08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Done Don....

dan_nelson
08-25-2012, 06:14 PM
were coming up friday for the cookout, how can we help out? dish to pass? were staying at the northern exposure We want to give our (KID) ,Boxer Brie a vacation also. this is the only place we could find that is pet friendly. She wont be attending the meeting. And will be crated in the truck during the cook out. We will also bring some small items for show and tell. Looking forward to seeing all of you again. Dan and Bridget Nelson

djmcnutt
08-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Dan, feel free to bring something if you like. Thank you for asking. Your boxer is welcome too. We are dog friendly. Look forward to meeting you.

kartracer63
08-26-2012, 07:28 PM
David and Bill,

Change of plans for me. My wife (Nancy) will be attending now too. She heard about the cookout and said that she's going too, if that meant getting out of cooking for a night.

Made reservations at the Cranberry Inn. It looks like a nice place. We're going to spend the whole weekend there in Mercer. We'll see what kind of trouble we can get into.

See you in a month!

billp
08-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Looks like the Cranberry Inn will be Shopbot Central for the weekend... I think we've already got half their rooms booked.....

Slim
08-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Planning on coming, just have to switch my schedule around. Will probably bring my dad along too.

billp
08-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Tim,
I'll add the both of you to the list today.

Nate Sirek
08-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi Guys,

I'll be for sure attending the seminar on Saturday. I left a voice mail in regards to getting a room on Friday night but I'm not too hopeful since it's last minute. If I can get one I'll make the cookout as well. Can I bring anything to the cookout if I make it?

If I can't get a room I'm just going to spend Friday night at my in-laws lake home in Hayward and drive up Saturday morning since its only a 2 hour drive from there.

This will be my first camp, I'm pretty excited!

djmcnutt
08-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks for gaining. I have a call in to see if they still have some rooms. If you make the cookout you sure can bring a dish to pass. Look forward to meeting you. I will make sure you are on the list.see you soon...

bobmoore
08-29-2012, 10:10 PM
I will be able to make the cookout also. I have found a room at the loons nest in Mercer. Jenny won't be able to come unfortunately. I wont be able to bring a dish to pass but I will think of something to bring.
Bob

t28c34
09-02-2012, 09:52 PM
My friend Larry and i will be attending also. Not sure about friday, Ill let you know. Thanks

billp
09-02-2012, 10:23 PM
I'll add your names to the list tonight!

909anchordown
09-04-2012, 11:22 PM
I have the date saved and plan to make it.
Marcel in Duluth.

djmcnutt
09-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Marcel, I will put you on the list. Hope all is ging well for you.

djmcnutt
09-10-2012, 10:09 AM
While we are getting down to the last few weeks and the group is getting larger. We are at 39 friends attending. So make sure if you haven't let us know if you plain on attending and also plan on joining us for the cookout Friday night please do so soon so I can plan. . Maybe you can reply to my email address and confirm cookout yes or no. david@mcnuttgroupinc.com. This will be simpler for me to track. Thanks to everyone and look forward to seeing everyone soon. We will post an agenda the first of the week of the camp.:)

djmcnutt
09-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Friday 09/28/2012 Around 5:30 Cookout at the shop

Saturday 09/29/2012

8:00 – 9:00 AM Coffee Hour Greetings
9:00 – Camp
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
1:00 – 4:00 More Camp

Some of the things planed and there is always room for someone else to get up and tell what you are doing or want to do with your ShopBot.

Scott Worden from Greenwood , WI will talk about a large butternut mantel piece he did called the “Cattle Drive” he will also share a zero plate he made and uses for zeroing his machine and he will give a demonstration on using it. The plans for this will be available as well.

I will talk some on how we use the ShopBot in or millwork shop to build custom wood doors and screen doors and other things.

If there is anyone that would like to share with everyone on what they are doing with their ShopBot please let me know so I can make sure we allow enough time for everyone.

Please bring things for show and tell. Feel free to bring them Friday night as well you can leave them at the shop for Saturday. If you have not told me you will be coming to the cookout please let me know. It's looking like we are going to have a good turn out as of now there will be 24 at the cookout and 47 at the camp. See you all soon.

The address for the shop is:

4792N Parkway Dr. Mercer, WI Shop Phone # 715-476-2260

Traveling North on Hwy 51 about 2 miles south of Mercer turn left onto Simpsom Rd, as soon as you turn keep right onto Parkway Dr the shop is about 1/4 mile Parkway on the right. You can see the shop from Hwy 51 headed north.

See you all soon :cool:

909anchordown
09-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I can pull together a presentation of the boat I am building if you still have time to fill. There is not much direct ShopBot content on this project but for future projects it will be the main tool. I designed with SolidWorks, then used Draftsight to create the 2-D, then cut with the ShopBot or sent files out to a cutting service. The process worked very well. I was hoping to bring the whole boat but it is not far enough along to move.
-Marcel

billp
09-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Marcel, the day is looking pretty well filled,but if you have a few shots of the Shopbot part of your build, we'll show them during the "Show and Tell" session ! Thanks!

t28c34
09-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Bad news, dont think I am going to be able to make it to the camp. Way to much work to get done. My shop is open, even though its small, if a shop is needed down here for a mimi camp. I'm a little over 100 miles west of Chicago. I am still learing as i go with my Shopbot and wish I could be there this weekend to get questions answered and see how other guys do things.
Thanks to the forums here, I still learn alot from them.

kartracer63
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Awesome Camp Doc!

Thanks for hosting such a great camp David! And... thanks for the wonderful cookout Friday night. I love your shop.

It was nice to meet so many shopbotters and hear their stories. I especially enjoyed meeting Scott Worden and his wife, and seeing how he made his beautiful fireplace mantle.

Our accommodations at the Cranberry Inn were the best I've been in for a long time. The northwoods charm was very comfortable and welcoming. This Motel & Restaurant is one of David McNutt's projects, and is a must see if you're ever in the area.

Mercer, Wisconsin and the surrounding area is stunningly beautiful, especially at the peak of the fall colors. My wife, and I, would love to come back again sometime.

bobmoore
09-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Great camp Dave. Shop is nice and great tools. I can't wait for our user group meetings to start. Maybe right after Christmas we can start monthly meetings and change locations as needed.
Bob

srwtlc
09-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Just got home a bit ago ourselves. Took the long way home along part of the Lake Superior shore which is beautiful this time of year!

Thanks to ShopBot, Bill, and especially Dave for opening up his shop to all of us (what a shop it is)!

We too enjoyed meeting faces to put with names oft seen here on the forum and getting a chance to speak with them.

jensen87
10-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Always amazed at the ingenious ideas and accomplishments of fellow shopbotters. Thanks, Dave for hosting and to Bill and all those who shared!

billp
10-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Many thanks to our host David McNutt, whose persistence led to such a successful event!
I've just posted some info and pix on the Camp blog page- http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php/2012/10/2012-upper-midwest-camp-shopbot/

djmcnutt
10-11-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm a little late but been super busy and that cold frozen stuff is coming very soon! Anyway a very big thank you to all that attended the camp, without all of you it would have never happened. I was glad you all showed Bill there are Shopbotters that will come if you have it..... Look forward to having another next year if you all want to, and I still think small area user groups are another way to share and learn together. A special Thank You to ShopBot to allow us to host this event and let Bill come share his knowledge.

dan_nelson
10-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks for having us, there was alot of info shared around the tables while camp was in session. however not everyone had business cards to hand out. does anyone have the email list on the signup sheet? I would also like to be involved in a users group, camps are well worth while but what
interest me is how others are using there bots in my area. to many tricks of the trade go unnoticed. Suggestion .The spindle was warmed up but no cutting what so ever, Kind of a bummer for someone who has older machine and was looking to upgrade,lets see what this new one can do that mine cant. not to mention the guys who where not owners and looking, maybe next time tease with the slide show please with some cutting. anyone who attended please feel free to contact me. Thanks Dan

nelsonwoodcrafters@yahoo.com

djmcnutt
10-13-2012, 02:33 PM
I sent a follow up via email to everyone that attended and a contact list. Well at least of the email address I could read:) so if you didn't get one contact me and get me that good email address.