PDA

View Full Version : c3 comman

cowboy1296
06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
I am more then 2 years into the shopbot. I have barely survived not knowing how to set up or calibrate the c3 command. I tried to do it through the shopbot set up today. I tried it from the lower left and lower right and both times it runs into the stop bolt on the lower left of the table. I have read everything i can on it but it is just not soaking in. FYI i do have a 4 foot power stick with my buddy 32. So if anyone has an explanation for idiots I am all ears.

adrianm
06-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Probably the easiest way is to run Shopbot setup from the Tools menu.

From memory it's the third page that deals with settings for C3 (prox switches).

I did mine using that routine when I first bought the 'bot and never had any issues with it since.

cowboy1296
06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately that is the way that i am doing it. And when i say that it runs into the stop bolt it trys to run through it bumping it repeatedly.

khaos
06-07-2012, 05:44 PM
thisi s just a shot in the dark... Make sure that your current x,y position are a few inches away (and inside the proxies) from either proximity switch. I have had problems when they are too close. My C3 actually increases Y and/or Y if they are single digits.

HTH,

srwtlc
06-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I had a guy that got a new buddy a few years ago that needed some help setting it up and the stops on it were set too close to the actual corner of the table and I had to move the stops to allow X Y zero to be set properly. You may also need to move the stops to allow it.

cowboy1296
06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
that certainly makes sense but when it hits the stop on the left it very close to not havign enough table left. but that is an idea

cowboy1296
06-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Still have not figured this one out.

ssflyer
06-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Rick,

If I understand correctly, try inputting negative numbers for your x & y offsets.

Joe Porter
06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Please disregard this if it sounds stupid, I am very poor in electronics and CNC in general. My Buddy's limit switches weren't working either. I found that the trigger pieces that come close to the proximity sensors were powder coated(?) and not providing a good path to ground. I filed off the powder coating and now they work. You can check this with a VOM and you should see a difference. That is on the X axis. The Y axis may not work due to the coating on the aluminum . Sand off the coating (I can't think of the proper name...) and then check for ground. joe

cowboy1296
06-08-2012, 02:27 PM
the stop bolts (which is what i call them) were out of wack. I am now able to run the program, dont understand it yet, but at least i can run it

garyc
06-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Joe...
May be concidental, but none of the ShopBot prox switches require a ground from the machine frame.

Joe Porter
06-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks, Gary, I meant to say that the targets, the nuts and bolts on the Y and metal L brackets on the X were not grounded. Do these need to be grounded? Mostly, I just don't use the limit switches. That awful banging on the stops is just too much to allow to happen. Mostly am making furniture parts for hobby use and ultimate zero points are just not too critical. As I said, 4 years ago I couildn't spell "CNC", so I am learning all the time. joe (would put a smiley face here, but still have to learn how to do that also)

garyc
06-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Joe...
No, none of the parts you mention require grounding to the frame.

cowboy1296
06-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Well Scott as usual you were dead on. I loosened both stop bolts. ran the table until it was about a half inch outside of the roller casing (the black gizmo that the roller is in on the buddys). at this point i slid the stop bolt up to the sensor and then backed off a little. then tightened it down. repeated on the opposite end. then rang shopbot set up again and you know what, it worked.

thanks for everyones assistance. i can not believe i have waited so long to set this up. I can see that it would be a valuable tool.

Joe Porter
06-10-2012, 07:31 AM
10-4, thanks, Gary. joe