PDA

View Full Version : X-Rail set-up

jake
05-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Im trying to set up my x-rails and what not, the man. mentions making sure to account for my side rails if the top is not flat. Mine ARE tapered down towards the outside a little. How do i fix this problem??
Also, how much did you guys have to shim your rails on avg.??? Thanks-Jake

supertigre
05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Jacob;

When I assembled my ShopBot I cheated. All that shimming and flattening drove me to distraction, so what I did was take an angle grinder and ground off the paint for an area of about 1" arround all of the holes and put a good sized dollop of steel filled epoxy at each of the holes. I covered the epoxy with wax paper and leveled it by pressing it flat with a 6' level sitting across the table. This made it flat and perfectly level to the table. After the epoxy set for a while, but before it is steel hard, clear out any overflow that flowed into the holes with a rat tailed file. Worked a treat for me.

Guy

jake
05-07-2006, 10:26 PM
That sounds like a good idea Guy, but how did you get your x-rails straight up-down? Thats my current problem being that my side rail tops are tapered down a little?

supertigre
05-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Jacob;

By flattening the steel filled epoxy putty with a level resting on the other X beam it also fixes the taper on the top of the beam.

Guy

jake
05-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Oh i see now! We called shopbot today they instructed us to move the leg/side rail assem. to compensate for the top rail. Seemed to work great. Thanks for the help Guy -Jake