PDA

View Full Version : Ecabinets Offall cuts out of bounds

benchmench
07-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Ecabs seems to be generating negative Y coordinates for offall cuts. This throws my Y axis into the limit switch and causes the system to require a driver reset, losing all reference to 0,0.

Anyone else experience this or have a recommendation (other than "don't use Offalls")?

garyc
07-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Dan...
This is a known issue with the SB Link and a version or two of the Thermwood Controlled Nesting. I am sure that it will be addressed in the next version, but have no word when that might be.

A workaround would be to check "No Off Fall Cuts" and trim sheets off the table. I kept a battery saw near for that purpose. If you wish to store the off fall and print a label (still without cutting them) Uncheck the No Off Fall box, Nest, Print. Check the box, Nest and Cut.

I am a big fan of the off fall labels and database storage, but never really liked the extra sheet cycle time and reduced bit life that resulted from actually cutting them. :rolleyes:

benchmench
07-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info, Gary. I like your method for offall tracking.

Do you also have a work-around for restarting the Ecabs cut routine mid-file? After having to reset the drivers and re-zero in my last session, I didn't want to re-drill shelf holes on the chance that it could enlarge the holes too much.

The SB3 "GOTO line number" and "Restart file" options don't work with Ecabs (wish it did!). I had to tell ecabs the holes were drilled with a different tool (set for "drill" only), then remove the bit during "cutting". When it asked for the Outline tool I replaced the bit and proceeded to cut the sheet OK, with no offalls.

I also have a jig saw next to the table for cutting the offall.

garyc
07-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Dan...
Only on a sheet by sheet basis, assuming "sheet selection" option is selected. I have done this dozens of times for various reasons and have never noticed an ovaled hole. If your table is accurate, there is no reason for the bit not to drop in the existing hole exactly.

What I would look at would be the reason for the mid file interuption and eliminate it. It takes some tuning and usually a fine eye, but after 3 years and over a thousand sheets cut with the SB Link and either of my two PRSalphas, I dont see any reason for them to stop during a file when all is set and adjusted correctly, at least more often than once in a hundred sheets or so caused by a "gremlin" of unknown origin. (or my own stupidity)

You may not know it yet, but you do not wish for file restart options when using the Link. Dont ask me how I know this!