PDA

View Full Version : I broke down and bought a small edge bander

michael_schwartz
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
I have always preferred to apply a 1/4 -1/2" solid wood banding. However this is a habit that is extremely time consuming.

As much as I want a real bander with trimming units I still don't have the room, let alone 3 phase power. I really don't trust the idea of the inexpensive handheld/bench top, hot air edge banders that you see in the hobby catalogs. There are also a lot of other things, I would like to throw money at, such as a spindle for the bot, shaper with power feed, AAA spray rig, larger shop etc so I have to prioritize spending.

I happened to stumble upon an X-Factory listing, for this so I bought it. It is a 1988 Cehisa EP2S glue pot bander, with the automatic feeder. I has an automatic, pneumatic end trimmer, that leaves a 1/2" tail. In addition to coil stock, It will run strips of up to about 2mm thick.

The main thing, is that it is really compact, and I can move it around myself. It runs off about 11 amps, so all it needs is a single 240v circuit. It also uses real, hot melt adhesive. I haven't had the time to really get it setup but I ran a strip of banding, and the adhesion was exelent.

The drawback of course, is that you still have to flush trim both ends, and the top and bottom edges manually. I have a couple of solutions for this, which I may talk about later.

Someday I plan to get a real edge bander but I am hoping this will be a nice stepping stone.

I only paid about $900, before shipping. The bander has been well maintained, and so far I think that all I need to do is to replace a couple of springs. The original dealer, (Adwood) is very much still in business which is a good thing. This isn't bad assuming this machine, retails for about $6k if purchased new.

Of course, in a production setting this would be considered a toy compared to what would even be considered an entry level machine. But then again so is most of the equipment, you will find in the smallest, commercial shops.

bruce_taylor
07-18-2012, 04:46 PM
i have a cehisa 3-t that has been pretty good to me, just don't have to buy any parts, they are really out of sight !!!!