PDA

View Full Version : After 3 years the bearings finally went out on the Porter Cable

rcnewcomb
05-04-2008, 03:13 PM
We are almost at the 3 year mark with our Shopbot and the bearings finally went out on the Porter Cable. I am actually quite pleased that we got that much life out of them since we are usuallly doing 3D work where a file may take 2 to 4 hours.

I want to thank Bill Palumbo for recommending that we stay with slower RPMs to extend bearing life. It really paid off well for us.

dana_swift
05-05-2008, 08:39 AM
How difficult is it to rebuild a PC? Somebody must have done that already.

I have been using a PC router for years in a router table before I purchased the SB and moved it to its new home. Its probably not long before I will be facing the bearing problem myself.

D

bill1
05-05-2008, 09:03 AM
I would not think it would be to difficult but I took mine in for repairs and along with the bearings they replaced the speed control and brushes there was also something else but don't remember and the cost I believe was $175.00 I will have to get out the receipt.

erik_f
05-05-2008, 09:13 AM
They sell a rebuild kit and from what I understand its pretty easy to do. I think the kit is around $60

donchapman
05-05-2008, 09:34 AM
I replace the bearings and brushes on my PC router about a year ago after about 7 years of good service. It is still running great.

I easily followed the detailed rebuild instructions with photos through some ShopBot pdf link or off a ShopBot CD that I don't recall but I'm sure SB tech support or someone else who reads this will know.

The only trick is to use an impact wrench to remove the bottom nut through inertia. Also be sure to use the correct type of bearings.

There is lots of info archived on this forum.

hermygator
08-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Replacing bearings now. So my question now is when removing the bottom nut is it right or left handed threads?

hermygator
08-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh sorry this is with the porter cable router

richards
08-20-2008, 09:38 AM
I changed the bearings in all of my Porter Cable 7518 routers several years ago (before I bought a 3hp spindle). Other than needing an impact wrench, the procedure was simple. Here's (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/show.cgi?tpc=26&post=25245#POST25245) a link.

(You'll also note that I switched from Sealed bearings to Shielded bearings. The routers run much cooler with Shielded bearings.)

trakwebster
09-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Also see info in this thread about bearing swap --

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/26/34075.html?1221518900

betacrash
10-05-2008, 06:50 PM
just swapped out my bearings and brushes and i noticed a major difference right away. the noise it about half of what it was before. I purchased the shielded bearings rather than the sealed from MSC and my only concern is....wont dirt and dust get into the bearing or does the fan on the armature do a good job of keeping it away? Do I need to grease the bearings at all?