PDA

View Full Version : Welding on the frame ??

ken_rychlik
02-17-2009, 08:18 AM
On a prt that is set up, I am thinking of welding on the table frame. The table is to flimsy that was made for it and needs some bracing to stiffen it up. I know they are capable of plasma cutting, so I wasn't sure how much stuff should be taken off or unpluged. Any advice?
Ken

Brady Watson
02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
As long as you put your grounding clamp as close to the area you are welding as possible, everything should be fine. I've welded my PRT's gantry to keep it square, and used to have the SB plasma cutter setup.

-B

ken_rychlik
02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Ok thanks. I have all the braces cut and ready and am going to start welding now. I went a little overkill I guess. I unplugged EVERYTHING from the control board but left the motors and wiring on the machine.
Kenneth

jamesgilliam
02-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Kenneth, I see you are waisting no time with the beefing up of the table since our visit yesterday. Talk to you soon. James

ken_rychlik
02-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for spending the time with me James. I enjoyed the visit and I realized that my table was to flimsy. I spent the day welding and it is solid as a rock now. I even made a platform under the table for the pc and controller. Everything was going so well I went ahead and put an attached console on the side of it for the monitor and keyboard too.