PDA

View Full Version : Making the table shorter in height

3d_danny
04-15-2005, 08:31 AM
Has anyone made a shopbot table shorter in height than what the plans call for? It looks like the only limiting factor might be the mounting of the control box. Since God made me shorter than most, it would make sense to me to make the table at hip height so when trying to reach over the middle of the table, I wouldn't be leaning on the x rails. I am getting ready to assemble my table this weekend.

billp
04-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Dan ,
You are not limited to placing your control box under the table. In fact there are some good reasons NOT to do so;
When you want to work on your wiring you won't have to crawl on the floor.
All of the dust/debris off your table won't be falling on it.
And you won't have your motor cables dragging along the floor.
I have my box mounted on a wall near the table, with all cables/wires suspeneded from the ceiling. This gives me complete access to all sides of the machine, and easier access to the innards of my control box as well..

3d_danny
04-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Bill,
Excellent idea about the control box. I have been debating as to installing my vacuum system and after visiting your web site, I see a solution to it also.

I am heading out to the shop to shorten the legs before I start the hole drilling.

Thanks Bill,
Dan

richards
04-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Dan,

Some things should never be changed - such as the height of the table. I'm sure that the engineers used a lot of computer time finding the perfect height, such as how far a dust particle falls at full speed before the air cushions the fall, and exactly how high a table should be to minimize the thunderous echo effect from the Porter-Cable router screaming as it tries in vain to cut through 1/4-inch thick particle board.

You don't know how lucky you are to be a little height impaired. That condition can easily be corrected with a pair of strap-on stilts. I've heard of at least one shopbotter who was 1/8-inch too tall who had to spend some serious time with a sander thinning the soles of his shoes a little. (I cringe when I contenplate his fate had he been even taller.)

So, if you don't want your floor pitted from uncushioned saw dust falling at full speed, or your ears ruined from the Porter-Cable's echo effect, my best advice to you is to leave the height alone and wear stilts - if necessary.

-Mike (perfect height but seriously girth impaired)

gerald_d
04-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Too late Mike - Dan's already headed for the shop....

mikejohn
04-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Dan
Don't shorten the legs.
Dig 4 holes in the floor to the desired depth.
I'm not even mentioning my girth. (Darn it, I just did
)
...........Mike

3d_danny
04-15-2005, 01:39 PM
You guys are too funny. I though about using my anti-gravity boots and walking around on the ceiling.<G>

The reason for my concern was looking at the table plans, there are upper and lower table end supports. The upper ones are cut at 76.25 length and the lower is cut at 72.5 length. At first glance, I assumed that with the lower support being shorter, the legs would have to be canted inwards by 3.75 inches. By shortening the legs, the angle of the legs would change. but.....since I had not drilled the holes yet,

I assumed wrong....After looking at the prints a little closer, the bolt holes in both supports for the legs are spaced at 70.5" and the upper support extends under the X rail support and bolts to it.(reason for the added length)I thought it to be a little strange to put the table under tension.

Couldnt see the forest for the trees<g>
Thanks for not blasting my stupidity too much.....

gerald_d
04-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Heck Dan, you are doing well enough - you should have seen the previous guy who put a table together.

mikejohn
04-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Gerald
Who are you referring to?

..............Mike

gerald_d
04-15-2005, 03:24 PM
The name escapes me now, but I do remember that he was rather girthy....

beacon14
04-15-2005, 03:25 PM
the biggest disadvantage of lowering the table is that you can't store as much junk under it.

wayneo
04-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Ever thought about raising the floor around the shopbot? May sound strange, but they do it all the time when working on/around boats....

Don't really raise the floor! Just build a raised platform around it.... Can be as narrow or wide as needed.....

Wayneo

3d_danny
04-15-2005, 08:36 PM
I think building a walkway around the bot would severly limit the use of under table storage. It is going to take a huge amount of floor space as it is.

What I really need is a hydralic lift from a car shop....I could make it any height I wanted. Raise it to the ceiling when it not in use....

beacon14
04-16-2005, 12:05 AM
An easily movable platform might be a simple option, or even a stepstool?

ron brown
04-16-2005, 08:21 AM
If Dan would just learn self levitation he wouldn't need all that. I'm sure all of us would like to learn how to levitate sheet goods. There should be a class at the jamboree for that.

Ron

mikejohn
04-16-2005, 09:22 AM
How about hover boots?
Connected somehow to the output of the vac?
I'm sure Bill can design something along these lines.
If it's a little bit short notice for the Jamboree, we will be delighted to introduce at the European event, 16th 17th and 18th September 2005
(all the more reason to book those tickets!)
...................Mike

dvanr
04-16-2005, 09:51 AM
I think the KISS principle should be used here.

If nothing else the customers would remember you

gerald_d
04-16-2005, 09:51 AM
*biting my lip*

dvanr
04-17-2005, 09:18 AM
What?....

You don't think my Chindogu suggestion was serious do you?

DvanR

mikejohn
04-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Dick, Gerald thinks spindles and dust collectors are Chindogu

..........Mike

gerald_d
04-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Dick, you will see that the time of my post, 9.51am, is exactly the same as yours. I had posted something about DIY hover boots (ducting some gas induced by beans), but thought that I had better self-censor that, so I edited the post.

Had to look up the word Chindogu (http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD:2005-07%2CGGLD:en&q=chindogu).....

mikejohn
04-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Gerald
something along these lines?

Get the belt really tight, puncture the soles of the boots while walking over a hedgehog (or porcupine). Beans and cabbage should do the trick!
Licence and re-selling fees as appropriate
...........Mike

gerald_d
04-17-2005, 12:52 PM
That's about it.