PDA

View Full Version : Height issue in shop -- What is minimum vertical clearance required?

bsilva
07-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm looking at getting a PRStandard 8x4 and I noticed that they list a vertical footprint of 100 inches. Unfortunately, the part of the shop where I'd like to put the Bot only has 88" clearance (due to some ductwork).

Is that 100" figure accurate? Can it be reduced? I know the MechMate guys use a cable track (instead of the bow) for the wires to the Z cariage, is that doable with a shopbot? How much work would it be?

Thanks,
Brad

Gary Campbell
07-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Brad..
Try This post... http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/28/22269.html?1183920719
The 100" is correct it may answer some of your questions
Gary

dewey_dog
07-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I just ordered cable carrier for my new Bot (not here yet) and they were alot cheaper that McMaster Carr. The technichain is what I ordered, it is rated for harsh enviroment.
http://www.uea-decril.com/technichain/index.asp

bsilva
07-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks, this information should really help.

daryl_wong
05-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Aloha All,

I am just in the stage of installing the wiring for my 4x8 shopbot. It is in my garage with an 8ft ceiling. I saw this post on the technichain. My question is... how much in length do I need to order?

Aloha,Daryl

blackhawk
05-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Daryl - 10 feet of chain is plenty to do both the x and y axis for a 4x8 machine. I used IGUS brand chain for mine. I can give you exact part numbers if you need them.

pappybaynes
05-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Brad,
Shopbot will put an e-chain on your machine for you...I had them do mine which should arrive next week.
Dick

daryl_wong
05-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Aloha All,

Thank you for the information. Brad, I'd love to have the part numbers so I can order them. Right now I have down time in the shopbot assembly since I'm waiting on an electrician friend to come by and finish the wiring and hook it up to the power in my Garage.
Dick, I wish I had known Shopbot could do that. I didn't know enough to know what to ask for. It would have saved me a lot of time. Its ok.
Its been a challenge putting this project together. I'm good with my hands but terrible at assembly of mechanical and electrical things.
I can't wait to start playing around with the the router. Expecially after reading every one of the virtual show and tell section! So many things to do....so little time.

Aloha,Daryl

blackhawk
05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Daryl - I bought 10 feet of the IGUS part #250-05-075 energy chain and (2) of the part #2050-34PZB bracket pivot. The bracket pivets come 2 to a pack, so that will give you 4 pieces total. The -075 part of the number above designates the minimum radius that the chain will bend. The -075 is a 2.95 inch radius, so the top mount must be at least 6 inches higher than the bottom mount. It is always best to use the maximum radius that will fit within your setup. The larger the radius of the chain, the longer that your cables will last. In my setup, I needed the -075 size for my Y axis setup. I could have went another size up for the X. I bought directly from IGUS, total cost was $164 not including shipping. Let me know if you need anymore info. If you pay for me to come to Hawaii and put me up for a few days, I will buy the chain and install it for you for free

daryl_wong
05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Aloha Brad,

thanks for the information. I'll order the chain this week.

Aloha,Daryl

daryl_wong
05-15-2008, 04:58 AM
ALoha Brad,

Thanks for the information. I called and ordered the Igus e chain from Bob at Igus. It will be coming in this week or Monday. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like I need to make a few brackets to hold the e chain. I'll see what I can come up with.

Aloha,Daryl

blackhawk
05-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Daryl - You will also need a support for the bottom of the chain along its full length. I just used a piece of 1/2" plywood for my support. I wanted to get fancy and use a piece of aluminum angle or channel but that stuff costs about as much as the chain.