PDA

View Full Version : Another rail question

bob_reda
09-20-2012, 05:05 AM
I have a 1994 48x48 prt, bought 2nd hand. I recently upgraded to the RBK controller, new motors, rack and gears. I was recently reading the thread about rail replacement, between caps and such and Brady mentioned a file and sander. I went and did mine. Now here is the question. I had burrs at least a 1/16" on both sides. Was that too much to take off? would it be better to cap the rails? It only took about an hour like Brady said and was quite easy to do, if I didn't take off too much I'm inclined to let things be.

Thanks
Bob

bleeth
09-20-2012, 05:57 AM
You likely did not take too much off. With the motors off and unplugged slide the gantry slowly up and down the rails and look at the contacts. As long as your wheels stay seated nicely on the rails they are fine.
If the rails do not have dips in them now they are fine. That is what you are looking for. One wheel suddenly being in the air while the others are still in contact would be a sign that there may be a dip in the rail at that point. It could also be a sign that the rail needs a bit of shimming at that point.

bob_reda
09-20-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks Dave

Bob