PDA

View Full Version : Bigger is Always Better... Unless!

gerryv
09-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Bigger is Always Better... Unless! (A word of warning just in case.)

That would be unless it's going to cost you tens of thousands more than you planned on to build a larger shop than you planned on. If I'd done my homework or simply made a call to Shopbot, I'd have discovered that the 5' wide 'bot that I'd lusted after for so long was not about 6.5' wide" as I'd "guessed" but, in reality, a touch over 7.5' wide.

Who'd have thought that just adding a foot to the width of a building would cost so much more? Who'd have thought that adding a foot wider, 13' jog in a 36' wall would cost nearly as much as just going an extra foot all the way (more complex roofline); who'd have thought that this would then lower the desired side wall height because of the 12:4 roof angle requirement; who have anticipated the added cost for the revised drawings...

What makes it worse is that I bought this machine because it was "otherwise" in truly excellent condition having only been used for about 6 months in the last 3.5 years but later found out that the unknown "otherwise" was that the 4 hp HSD spindle bearings were @#$%^& (dirty, plugged up, out of balance collets) so I then spent an extra $2,000 on a new HSD spindle from Shopbot. That doesn't "really" add much value though does it. :(

Hmmm,
... anyone out there needing to upgrade to a 5'x10' PRS alpha from their recent model 48" Buddy with powersticks, haha. Ah well, live and learn. :(
... anyone out there know if it's practical for an old geezer with arthritis to run the gantry down to the back then climb up on the table to do setup, adjustments and such :(
... anyone tried a combination of one of those stairlifts and an auto mechanics creepers would help? :D

Q: So when exactly does the wisdom that is supposed to come with age and experience kick in - fully?

Sorry, just had to rant at myself a little so figured I might as well see if it could help anyone.

curtiss
09-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Most things with buildings change in 2' increments. Forming concrete foundations 13' wide is often more complex and costly than 14'

Most houses have a 2 foot overhang on the eve because they can rip the 4x8 plywood soffit down the middle. A 36 inch eve provides for a lot of wasted material even though the homeowner might like the look.

Not sure what type of roof you are using but a "bump out" would change the trusses and a number of other things.

In AutoCAD, there is a "stretch command" which can make a building a foot wider in about 3 seconds. A "bump out" is a bit more complicated. :)

gene
09-25-2012, 10:22 PM
The lessons that you buy and pay for are the ones that you remember the longest!

BTP
09-26-2012, 07:53 AM
My shop is 20 x 25ft.

Half of it (8x25) is 2 story. Shelving and storage on the bottom & workspace on the top. I specifically designed it to fit products I stock, & sheets of plywood.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16354&stc=1&d=1348660212

bleeth
09-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Gerald:

Step outside your box (shop) mentally and starting from scratch redesign the organization of your current space. You may find you can fit more in there than you think.

If you don't do Cad then use grid paper. Makes scale cutouts of the floorspace needed for your tools and place them/shift them with required load/unload space. Then allocate your workbench space and storage. Keep an eye on materials in/product out flow.

Right now my main shop is 5000 feet but there is a lot of space needed to accomodate built product waiting for delivery and several workstations for employees. I have had a near perfect designed shop with a huge variety of woodworking tools, including my full size bot, in 1250 feet total with an office taking up a couple hundred square feet of it.

bobmoore
09-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Good luck with the redesign Gerald. Sometimes you can fit 10lbs of fertilizer in a 5 lb bag. This sounds like someone I know that decided to put a new $300.00 sink in the kitchen. When finished it was approximately $110,000.00,
Soon they were showing off their new kitchen and forgot about the original budget.
Bob

chiloquinruss
09-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Of course 'shops' are a lot like 'boats', you know if it was just another two feet longer! :) Whatever you build it will certainly get filled up and will certainly be just 'almost' enough! We feel your pain. Russ