PDA

View Full Version : Moving tool manually ...

Support (Admin)
03-22-1999, 11:43 PM
THREAD FROM ARCHIVE
========================================
The following are portions of a thread from the BotHead Forum and are provided here in the event that some people may have an interest in this somewhat technical issue.

The first posting is a comment from Ted with respect to the question of whether stepper motors generate voltages/currents when spun by hand ... and more generally in relation to the point that we believe it is bad practice to move your ShopBot by hand and recommend against it.

Re voltages from stepper motors:

Steppers are not 'little generators' in the sense that they will generate usable output, however, they will and do generate large voltage pulses when they are spun quickly.

Let me lead you through how you can explore this for yourself. The most instructive approach is using an oscilloscope. Just hook it up to two motors wires on the same coil, for example black and green or blue and red (hopefully you will be using an autoranging scope). Just spin the rotor and you will see the pulsing current (as an AC sine) as the rotor turns. The faster you spin, the higher the voltage.

Since you may not have a scope handy, lets move to your voltmeter. The slow integration and averaging of modern digital multimeters make the alternating current pulses a little more difficult to see ... but they are there. Don't use DC setting, because the swings will tend to average out. Set your meter to something like 40V AC and again connect the leads from a single coil, say the black and the green. Spin the motor and keep it going for a few seconds so the meter will integrate. You will be able to easily generate average voltages in the 20v range.

These are real voltages and currents that can do damage to solid state devices (like our current drivers) that are attached to them. Let me illustrate how powerful the current is. Get a little jumper wire with an aligator clip on both ends. Using a disconnected stepper motor, first spin it a bit to get a feel for the motion. Then, using your jumper, short the black and the green wires. You will instantly find the motor much more difficult to spin. You can turn it slowly without a problem, but when you try to spin it quickly, the motor feeds current back into the coil and 'brakes' itself. There is enough power, that the motor becomes very difficult to turn.

For an even more impressive demonstration of the currents produced by a turning motor, take two disconnected steppers and wire them together, matching color to color in the wires. Turn one of the motors very slowly ... nothing happens. But turn it fast and you'll see that it generates enough power to move the other motor in synchrony ... with force.

We may be being a little overprotective by telling ShopBotters not to move their tools by hand. In fact, 99 out of 100 times, even a big fast movement is unlikely to damage the driver boards. The driver chips themselves are very sophisticated and have protection against back surges. Nonetheless, on a few occasions we are aware of having damaged a driver here ourselves by rapidly moving the tool around by hand ... and I see no reason to take chances. A driver chip costs $20 but because it is soldered into the board (for motor-driving efficiency), we effectively loose the whole $200 board.

Now, its probably fine to turn the motors off to move the Z axis a bit by hand in order to zero it to a surface, but because the X and Y are geared at about 4:1 it is just too easy to produce rapid motor turning and risk driver damage.

The new software has an arrow key control of tool movement that makes moving the tool around very convenient. There should be little need to move an axis by hand. Additionally, we have installed convenient plugs at each motor so that if for some reason it is necessary to move an axis by hand, the motor can be unplugged and the axis safely moved.

John Tesdal March 19, 1999

Thats fine and dandy, but fortunately for us the Chain Drive dosen't spin the motor as fast as the small spindle on the cable drive. Instead of saying "NO", you should really give us the tolerance of the driver
transistor. I could figure this out, but the manufacturer surely has this information....right?

Ted Hall March 20, 1999

Hi John,

Please send me your FAX number and I will get a copy of the spec sheets for the driver chips off to you (I don't see one in our database).

On gear ratios. I don't know what ratio the chain drive is ... but I don't imagine it's that much different than our current R&P. What, for example, is the typical Unit/Calibration value that you're using? Multiply this by 4 and you'll have the approximate steps/inch (or divide by 400 for rotations/inch) for the X and Y axis. The Z axis is geared at 2000steps/inch. A R&P tool as we are shipping it is geared (after the reduction box) at about 500/1 as is a cable drive tool. If you're operating too much different than this I'd be concerned that you may be going out of the optimal range for the control system. If the ratio gets too much smaller, the tool will have speed, but low power and resolution ... it gets to much higher, you'll up the power but not be able to reach very high end speeds. (This latter problem is why we are no longer selling the ball-screw PR32 unless a customer wants very high res and is willing to sacrifice a little speed).

FYI, we ship the R&P tools with an stand-alone power supply that supplies a little higher voltage (13.8) than the PC box and this increases the top end speed. If we can find a power supply at a fair price, we'd like to switch to 28v (and abt 25A) to really drive the tool right. These higher voltage supplies should also improve the speed performance of a chain drive. [Given an adequate current is available from the supply, the voltage will have no real effect on the amount of power delivered at slower cutting speeds (i.e. less than 1000 steps/sec)].

Posted by John Tesdale from his Discussion Board March 22,1999

Mr. Hall: I find your response to John about moving the carrage of the machine interesting but without real substance. It matters very little that the motors resist hand turning under certain configurations. It's been my professional experience (40 years in the electronics industry with the last 25 in an engineering position with the same employer) the real issue is the breakdown voltages of the driver. If you have those specs available, please publish them. If impulses produced by the motors manual turning exceed the breakdown of the driver, then you are particially correct,damage could occur. Notice I said partically correct. The solution is not to cease moving the carrage by hand, the solution would be for Shopbot to redesign the circuit as it should have been in the first place. I have a feeling there is no real problem here. Not having measured the pulses myself, I will take your word they are in the 20 volt range. I believe there is a greater danger from static discharge from ones body than low voltage pulses. I always find a difference of understanding interesting. I would be more then willing to discuss the technical aspects further with you, but I doubt it is of interest to most of the fourm readers

Ted Hall March 22, 1999

The message above makes several good points, though like the writer, I worry we may be wearing the subject thin. My initial posting about steppers generating current was a reply to an earlier posting in which a failure to measure a voltage from a stepper was reported. Because I imagined that it was just a matter of correcting how the measurement was made, I thought I should explain how one can readily convince themselves that steppers are able to generate current.

In response to the question about specs, we are always happy to share whatever technical information is available on our tools. I will post a summary of the motor specs at the end of this message. But more generally, the data on the Allegro chips (SLA7026M) which are the core of our drivers is available and downloadable as a pdf file from the manufacturer at: http:/www.allegromicro.com

These ICs are wonderful little drivers for our purposes, and we spent considerable effort in selecting them. They are robust and have avalanche-rated FETs (~100v). They have performance characteristics that are well optimized for our needs. Probably owing to the complexity of the integrated logic, diodes, and FETs the manufacturer does not provide a specific "breakdown" voltage. However, as my original posting indicated and as the above writer notes, the chances of damaging the drivers by moving your tool by hand is slight ... and for small, slow moves not likely to be a problem. Nonetheless, I see no reason to take a chance ... and having recognized the potential to do damage by rapidly spinning the geared motors when doing an abrupt move by hand, I believe this is poor practice.

In addition, the writer notes the problem of static. We concur and note that this is a potentially significant problem in woodworking shops running dust collectors. Thus, our recommendation regarding electrical protection of the driver electronics is two-fold.
1. Don't move your ShopBot rapidly manually.
2. Properly ground your ShopBot and dust collection system to reduce static.

SLA7026M (Allegro Microsystems)
Abs.Maximum Ratings
Load Supply Voltage 46v
FET Output Voltage 100v
COntrol Supply Voltage 46v
Peak Output Cur(<100us) 5.0a
Continuous Ouptut Cur 3.0a
Input Voltage Range -.3 to 7.0v
Reference Voltage 2.0v
Juction Temp 150C
Operating Temp Range -20 to 85C
Storage Temp Range -40 to 150C

john@pcjet.com
03-24-1999, 01:28 AM
Ted,

It seems that you are unsure of your driver board, the producer of SignsOnTap claims that he can move his carrages (with the power off and in an safe manner, as not to hurt yourself) back and forth......Do we all have weak driver boards? Is this something that needs to be replaced? You indicate that if the driver transistor shorts that it would cost 200 bucks, ...why would you spend 200 bucks on a 20 cent part? Needless to say other drive systems (including the cable drive) have an advantage over the rack and pinion, since the rack and pinion would be almost impossible to move by hand without skipping across the rack teeth. As you agreed with the above individual that there is more of a danger of a static discharge ruining that 20 cent piece than the movement of the carriage, I think we can put this issue to rest.

birdsofplay
03-24-1999, 05:24 PM
Has anyone ever fried an SB driver board ?
I dont hear anyone complaining about weak boards.
Since when does "unsure" translate to "weak" ?

Ted already stated that the SLA7026 has ALL the
protection built into "it". There are NO active
components that SB has added. So whats yer point ?

Ted has flately stated that owners SHOULD NOT move the carriage by hand. With the Keyboard movement
feature on the terrific new Software why would
you want to do otherwise ?

If your SB is so poorly assembled that you expect
it to skip across "otherwise" securly meshed
teeth, then I suggest that you stop posting silly
commentary and get to work reading the SB manuals.

If you really want to purchase quantitys of SLA7026 chips then talk to B&D enterprises
in Russel PA 1-814-757-8300 www.bdent.com
Either they or their industrial side affiliate can
get you chips for under $10 ea. in qtys. I have
NO idea where your 20 cent guestimate comes from.

This issue will only die IF you "dont" have to have the LAST word, ALL THE TIME !

john@pcjet.com
03-25-1999, 09:34 AM
Those that cannot, will never understand, those who can, and do, will never complain.

Shopbot has to expect that they will be challenged about the quality of their product. I know for a fact that the driver board will handle it, I just want those of us who CAN move our carriages freely with the Chain Drive to know that there is NO danger unless Shopbot has faulty boards, in which case there should be a recall. I am protecting MY interests by stating what I know about this subject and raising questions about what I do NOT know. Is this the last word Bob? Will you have something else SMART to say? Is this the way that this new forum will flow? "Hey you, shut up because you are questioning the quality of a PCB!" I don't think so.

People will always fear what they don't understand, and it is obvious that there are a lot of people that don't understand what the heck we are all talking about. They need to know.

Again, science and technology will overcome all fear and superstition.

any last words Bob? Flames like before?

John

www.pcjet.com

birdsofplay
03-25-1999, 01:48 PM
Hmmm, let's see here ...

I challenged your logic, as you callenge SB,
I stated some facts and noted some history,
then I offered some information, and
once again, questioned sources and data.

The only part on my communication that could even
remotely be considered a "flame" was my observation that the last word is always had.

I do suspect that "they" are appalled by this exchange.

I thank "them" for their restraint.

john@pcjet.com
03-25-1999, 02:41 PM
Bob,

Gee Bob, what logic are you challenging? That the circuit costs more than 20 Cents? I guess my logic is just shot to heck.....oh well, I will just go back to my "poorly assembled Shopbot".

John

john@pcjet.com (mailto:john@pcjet.com)
www.pcjet.com

rickb
03-29-1999, 06:51 PM
To: Ted Hall,
re: quest for 24V higher current power supply to test. How about 24 Volts@25 (mailto:Volts@25) Amps, 220 volt input power supply, USED, $39.95? Catalog # 11233 from Marlin P. Jones & Assoc. 800/652-6733 or mpja.com
At that price, I doubt that you can pass it up.

birdsofplay
03-30-1999, 09:38 AM
Snap it up !!!

These are the folks I noted in another thread late last week.

Bruce and I both got huge 24 V Linear Power supplies that weight 45# ea from someone else.

They work just fine, but this MPJ&A PS looks like a better deal since it's $30 cheaper too !

BTW we got splattered with their catalogs recently. However I'd never heard of them B4,
anyone have any experience with MPJ&A ?

Bob N.

rickb
03-31-1999, 02:53 PM
Bob N,
re: M.P. Jonea & Assoc.
I purchased half a dozen power supplies from them a while back and everything was fine. They seem to be good people and have been around for at least 5 years.

Another good place for power supplies and power transformers (if you build your own) is R&D Electonics; 1224 Prospect Ave; Cleveland,OH 44115 800/642-1123.

rgbrown@itexas.net
03-31-1999, 03:34 PM
RE: More Power

Herbach and Rademan (herbach.com)also has two power suppies that may be of interest;

TM97PWS2987; 17V/25A @ 39.95
TM92PWs2022; 24V/25A @ 74.50

FYI,
Ron B - rgbrown@itexas.net (mailto:rgbrown@itexas.net)

birdsofplay
04-01-1999, 08:07 AM
Thanks for passing on experience with MPJ&A

H&R is where Bruce and I got the big linears.

Using my 24Vps (single drive board) and my home made "thrust box to chain drive" mod with ~ 3:1 ratio and a Chatillion digital force gage.
I got a repeatable force of 54 lbs in X and 45 Lbs in Y.
By simply changing the Y from a 22 tooth to a 20 tooth It increased from 38 to 45 lbs.
So, changing the larger drive gear from 60 tooth to maybe 72 should also make a dramatic difference in available force.

Experiments continue.
No aftermarket product planned.
Renderings, pix and specs available.