PDA

View Full Version : carving files to purchase

ironman55
10-17-2012, 09:47 PM
I am considering a new shopbot buddy 48. I have some questions as I am a newbie to cnc
I will be using the cnc for carvings as you would purchase from Enkeboll or White river.
I am a fan of Stickley furniture and so Stickley style joints.

1. My question, is there files that can be bought on the open market for
Egg and dart, Grape leaves, Acanthus, Crowns, etc......

2. Is the frame on the buddy rigid enough for the .000025 accuracy?
Moving a cnc around seems counter to the need for perfectly level. (When you buy a cnc a mechanic usually comes out and spends the better part of a day to install elvel etc..

3. If the computer / controller is so sensative should it be on an expensive surge / regulated power supply?

4. I ran a shop with a Weeke BP80 point to point and we were told not to have the machine hooked up to an open internet line, due to viruses and such.
Also the length of the cable from the computer to the machine was critical.
Do they make shielded cables for this setup? Most shops have fluorescent lighting, does this type of lighting tend to affect the com lines?
5. What is the best source for bits?

6. Is there a good dummies book out there?

Anyway, thats a good start on questions. I spent most of the day reading everyones posts, GOOD stuff!!!!

Thanks in advance to all!! Ironman55:eek:

garyc
10-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Joseph....
I will try to answer as many as possible.

1) http://www.vectorart3d.com/ and many others with varying quality

2) Yes, however the resolution (positional accuracy) is listed as: PRStd .0006" and alpha .0004"

3) Cant hurt. Mine is (computer). Wasnt all that expensive tho.

4) I will never hook my control computer to the internet. Other opinions vary. Cable length is critical, ShopBot provides the proper one. In some cases flourescent lighting has been problematic, along with other sources of "noise" to many to mention. Only occurs in a small percentage of cases.

5) This forum, or the internet in general.

6) Yes, the manual that comes with the machine. Widely distributed, seldom read.

myxpykalix
10-18-2012, 12:01 AM
6) Yes, the manual that comes with the machine. Widely distributed, seldom read. LOL

"Instructions....we don't need no stinking instructions":rolleyes:

For 3d objects free or for pay...google is your friend.
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/segment-eggs-darts-3d-model/568420

I bought a laptop for my control software and have never had it hooked to the internet. Why ask for problems....
I use the usb cable that came with it that is 6-8 feet long(?) I have flourescent lights and have never had a problem.

bits...www.centuriontools.com

The easiest way to find out what you need to know is to simply ask the question....we were all newbies at one time and any question you will have
has been asked before....no problem.

bob_reda
10-18-2012, 02:55 AM
What kind of work do you plan to do that would require 25/1000000" accuracy? just asking. I don't believe the space program uses that:D
The instruction book is your friend. Keep it nearby, I always write in mine, unit values, any problems, how they where fixes. When you have something that moves sooner or latter it will need to be tuned.

Bob

ironman55
10-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies:D

I am sure I will have more questions as I go. I am in the research phase. I will be making highend custom furniture pieces.

Who knows I could be the next Stickley!:eek:

I dont have a need for space program accuracy, I was just asking as floors tend to be uneven and I wanted to know if the frame was rigid enough to counteract that issue?

Has anyone tried inlaying with the buddy? if so do you simply go from the machining inside of the line to the outside?
Thanks.

adrianm
10-18-2012, 08:33 AM
For inlaying you will seldom get the piece to fit if you use the same vector (line) for the inside and outside.

If you're using PartWorks (VCarve) then it has an inlay toolpath feature that has an offset allowance field that lets you change the size of the male or female parts slightly to get a good fit as well as compensate for the diameter of the cutter you're using.

Ajcoholic
10-18-2012, 08:15 PM
2) Yes, however the resolution (positional accuracy) is listed as: PRStd .0006" and alpha .0004"

From the Shopbot website, for the Alpha's:

Step resolution of .0004".
Positional accuracy of +/- .002"

+/- two thousandths is quite a bit coarser than four ten thousandths. However, its a woodworking router, not a metal milling machine. I can't see the buddy NOT having a fine enough resolution & positioning accuracy for ANY woodworking task, even ultra fine inlay work.

As for the rigidity, I have an Alpha Buddy 48, the frame is plenty rigid. It takes 10 or 15 minutes to move it, level it out/adjust the feet. If you are slow and do a good job.