PDA

View Full Version : Plywood cutting problem

john_hartman
10-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Does anyone have an issue with getting a smooth cut with 3/4" Columbia pure bond with the link? I get these bulges along the entire length of the cut.

I cut 90% through in climb then all the way through in conventional. After edge banding these bulges are very noticeable. Especially with PVC edge banding. Somewhat noticeable with real wood veneer.

I use a 3/8" centurion mortise compression at about 5-6ips.

The only remedy I know of is to trim off about 1/32" on the table saw. See attached drawing for further explanation.

knight_toolworks
10-22-2012, 06:40 PM
I get that with bamboo plywood a finish pass takes care of it. I do climb cuts almost through and a finally pass normal cut to clean up the problem. I b et it works fine with your ply too.

beacon14
10-22-2012, 08:34 PM
The only way I have found to get really nice edges with poplar core plywood like Purebond is to go slooowwww. For one client we do the rough cut in two passes at 1.5 ips and then a finish cut full depth at 2 ips, all conventional, no climb cuts. Takes a lot longer but the difference in edge quality is night and day. We're using 1/4" downcut bits, usually with flat ends since we have a lot of pocketing with this client.

rww
10-22-2012, 11:35 PM
I have the same problem. I doesn't do it on baltic birch ply. I take a block and send the edge if I am going to edgeband with a thin edge.